How Much Do You Charge For Non-Wedding Cakes?

Business By CupcakeQT82 Updated 28 Jul 2012 , 10:03am by salsaman42

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 21

I feel fine about how much I charge for wedding cakes, but am struggling with my non-wedding cakes. I do a lot of shower and birthday cakes and am trying to come up with a pricing structure I am comfortable with. I have an order for a 10-inch round birthday cake,3-layer, with raspberry jam filling, to serve about 40. I quoted her at $1.50 without the filling and $1.75/serving with filling, which comes out to either $60 or $70 (no fondant). I feel like this is a good figure but am not sure . . . I know I personally would not want to pay more than $60-75 for a birthday cake to feed 35-40 but I also know the kind of profit I'd like to make . .
I live in a semi-rural area so this has to factor in.

20 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 21

I decided to make it easy on myself and price per serving regardless what the occasion. Cake is cake is cake. And for those that say more planning is involved and more hand holding for weddings, it's only a matter of time management and how organized you are. icon_wink.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 21

I charge the same . I put the same work into a three tier birthday cake (sometimes more ) that I do into a three tier birthday cake.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 21

Incidently I charge more per serve for cupcakes than I so for large cakes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

I know I personally would not want to pay more than $60-75 for a birthday cake to feed 35-40 but I also know the kind of profit I'd like to make . .
I live in a semi-rural area so this has to factor in.

I would suggest that you NEVER, EVER use your feelings about how much YOU would pay for a cake to establish pricing. If this is difficult, simply substitute some other "skill" such as painting a mural on the side of a building instead of making/decorating custom cakes.

If someone wanted a mural painted on their building, would you determine your pricing based on how much YOU would pay for a mural? Nope. You would base it on the time involved, cost of supplies, and your skill level. After all, how many people can paint a really great mural?

Here is a fabulous, recent, thread about How Much to Charge. If you haven't read the thread and all the links provided by vgcea, it is well worth the time to read all the information.

How much to charge:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....ml#7308992

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 21

Agreed - any custom cake is same per serving with additional for design. I do have a menu of pre-designed cakes that I charge a flat fee for, but they get no customization except adding "happy birthday". But even those aren't much cheaper per serving.

Charging people X for a "birthday cake", but charging XX for a "wedding cake" makes the customer think you are trying to rip them off.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 21

Juuuust Google "Man Stroke Woman wedding cake" and find the video. icon_wink.gif

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 21

Apti I can not get the link to work. It keeps giving me error 404. Can you point me in the right direction on where to look for this thread. These type of topics always interest me.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Juuuust Google "Man Stroke Woman wedding cake" and find the video. icon_wink.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

That video equally makes cracks me up and pisses me off. icon_rolleyes.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 21

We distinguish between tiered cakes and non-tiered cakes instead of wedding vs. party cakes. All tiered cakes are priced per serving, while all non-tiered cakes are a flat price (with an extra fee for premium decorations depending on the complexity of the design).

cakecraving Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:01am
post #11 of 21

AZ that is so funny. At first a little scared to Google it given the name. My husband was laughing so hard we watched it twice so I could hear it.

AZCouture Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:28am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:

Agree!

Apti Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:57am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraving

Apti I can not get the link to work. It keeps giving me error 404. Can you point me in the right direction on where to look for this thread. These type of topics always interest me.

Sure. Let's try it again. It is well worth reading.
Exact title of thread: How much to charge
Author of thread: MallorieH
Date of thread: Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 am
Link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7308992.html#7308992

(I LOVE the video, ""Man Stroke Woman wedding cake" No matter how many times I watch it, it is always hysterical!)

"It's a wedding ribbon." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakecraving Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:03am
post #14 of 21

Thanks it works this time

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 5:51am
post #15 of 21

"Yes but this is a wedding cake." LOL!

I price per serving irrespective of if it's a birthday cake, wedding cake or funeral cake. The same cake is going to cost the same irrespective of where it's going.

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

We distinguish between tiered cakes and non-tiered cakes instead of wedding vs. party cakes. All tiered cakes are priced per serving, while all non-tiered cakes are a flat price (with an extra fee for premium decorations depending on the complexity of the design).

thumbs_up.gif This. I charge the same

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 21

GOOD video!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:17am
post #18 of 21

I charge the same. The highest-maintenance clients that I have are birthday cake clients. They. Are. Insane. Brides have nothing on them.

Apti Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 3:48am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I charge the same. The highest-maintenance clients that I have are birthday cake clients. They. Are. Insane. Brides have nothing on them.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 6:58am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:

Me too! So hilarious! "The ribbon is $h!t!," "It's exactly the same same cake!!"

salsaman42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsaman42 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 10:03am
post #21 of 21

Same price as wedding cakes, usually other events are more work than wedding cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%