Sps Question

Decorating By Lynne3 Updated 25 Jul 2012 , 8:23pm by Dayti

Lynne3 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 4

I love the SPS system for stacking but have one problem.

The cake sits on a thin cardboard cake board, and then that cardboard is placed on the SPS stacking plate.

When I stack the cakes the cake board and plastic plate are visible. I do push the plastic plate so that it is completely touching the top of the fondant lower tier below. But that darn space is still obvious.

Usually I cover with pearls or a ribbon as the cake design, but is there any way to use SPS if you do not want anything at the bottom of your cake tier?

3 replies
poohsmomma Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

You need to make sure you have 4" tiers. You can buy the longer legs and trim them if the tier is not 4".

Lynne3 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 4

My tier was exactly 4" tall and the SPS plate touched the fondant beneath it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the space created by the thickness of the SPS plate and the cardboard cake board.

Dayti Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

I cover the cake so the fondant goes past the cake board, so it can't be seen. To cover the edge of the plastic plate, if I'm not doing ribbon or a RI border, I mash some fondant (same colour as the cake) to a very thick paste with water. Pipe this in the gap and smooth with the help of a damp, thin paintbrush and a small spatula. The water in the paste evaporates, so you get a seamless finish. It's the only think I can think of.

Or, sometimes if your tiers are ever-so-slightly higher than 4", your plastic plate/legs will sink more into the tier below when you place the cake on top, pushing it in a bit more, so your fondant on the top cake edge will meet the fondant on the bottom cake completely.

But try the trick with the fondant paste in a piping bag and smooth it out, it really works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%