Lego Cake

Decorating By RisingBakery Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm by eva1982

RisingBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisingBakery Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 7:07am
post #1 of 14

I need help with a lego cake I have to make. I am not exactly sure how to get the look of the lego pieces. All advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a attached a picture of the cake they would like and where I need the help is the top part of the cake that looks like the lego pieces.

Thanks
LL

13 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 11:38am
post #2 of 14

What I would do would be to make a mold using a lego piece and some gumpaste or some food safe silicone. Then just press some different colored fondant into the gumpaste, trim, then apply to cake. HTH

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 14

cut base rectangles out of fondant. roll fondant into ropes the diameter you want the "bumps" on the legos to be. Put ropes in freezer. When fondant is firm cut crosswise to make all the little bumps. use a sharp knife or exacto. Freezing keeps the shape round while cutting. Attach bumps with fondant glue.

jwhiting12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwhiting12 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 5:28am
post #4 of 14

I have someone that wants a cake similar to this also (thanks for the tips!), but she wants the entire bottom tier to look like the legos and the top to be a Ninjago head. Seems easy enough but time consuming, I'm not really sure how much to charge her. Any thoughts on that? She needs it for 30 people.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

suedepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedepp Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 14

I made a cake like this recently, and bought a flexible rubber form on ebay that made the shape of the Lego blocks. It cost around $20 if I remember correctly, but it sure was easy enough to use, and the blocks did look like Legos.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 14

I made a Lego cake, I just rolled fondant to an even thickness and used a round icing tip to cut out the dots, attached to fondant rectangle with gum glue. To make the rectangles, I rolled a sheet of fondant, cut, then let it dry a bit before moving so it wouldn't stretch.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 14

I have made several lego cakes and I am with Full House on this one. Make your proportionate rectangles and let them dry a little, then use the correct size round piping tip to make the bumps. Unless you plan on doing a lot of Lego cakes save your money and skip the mould.

RisingBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisingBakery Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:23am
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone for all the great advice I think I will be trying to use a round tip and cut out the dots. I will let you all know how it turns out.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:53am
post #9 of 14

I also used an icing tip for mine and i believe it was the #9 Wilton tip that was the perfect size for the dots.

tortomanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:48am
post #11 of 14

Here in California there are a chain of candy stores called Sweet Factory. They are usually in the malls. I bought lego candies there for a lego cake that I made. So much easier that making them!

zetasilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zetasilver Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:29am
post #12 of 14

I used a straw to cut out the dot, perfect size for mine.

Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 14

i covered the entire sides of a 9" heart with legos, thank goodness only the top legos needed the dots to look real. i took fondant and made into a long rectangle shape,let dry, and then cut the appropriate size legos, and i used the piping tip to cut the nubs ontop too!

eva1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eva1982 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 14

AJust an idea I've read somewhere is you could use real Legos as a mold just make sure they are clean I would buy me new ones for that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%