zinger60 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:08pm
post #1 of

I have a customer that want's a cake that is decorated in buttercream. The design looks like vertical ribbons in rows one after another all around the sides of the cake. I did a search online for ribbon cakes and came up with nothing. Another design she wants looks like cakes I have seen done where they put strips of ruffled fondant all around the sides of the cake but this one is done in buttercream. Anyone have any ideas on where to find out how to do these techniques?

2 replies
Yeloroz65 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:42pm
post #2 of

Check out this site, http://www.balancingbites.com/2012/05/chocolate-ridge-buttercream-technique.html, is this what you were looking for? Also, if you search the internet for vintage buttercream cakes and ruffled buttercream tutorials or techniques there is a lot that comes up. Here's one for the ruffle, http://bubbleandsweet.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-make-ruffled-buttercream-rainbow.html, it gives a general idea on where to start, but search the internet for more.

I find too that if you just look at the images that come up after your search you can click on the pictures that you like, and most of them lead you to the blog or web site. Some of them will provide tutorials. HTH!

erin2345 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 2:09am
post #3 of

I think this is what you mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYX0qXDVy0

Also 'i am baker' has a tutorial - I believe she 'invented' this style of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%