Most Used Flowers For January Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 25 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 9

What are the most popular sugar flowers used / requested for January wedding cakes? Are there any at all? I have a 2013 January wedding cake design on my lap and looking for some ideas other than the usual roses and calla lilies.

8 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 9

Two things come to mind.

1. Ranunculus and kangaroo paw for flowers and color.

OR

2. Create seasonal branches and boughs covered with snow and/or ice.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 9

There is a lovely design on Martha Stewart webpage for weddings, with snow covered pine cones it's on 'good things for winter weddings' you might get some ideas from there. thumbs_up.gif

MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 9

My cousin got married in December and her cake was covered in pinecones, snowflakes and mistletoe. It was very pretty, I don't have a picture of it on hand, I would post a pic if I did.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 9

Poinsettias?? Christmas roses?? Cyclamens?? Carnations?? Amaryllis icon_smile.gif

pinkfluffycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffycupcake Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9

When I think of winter weddings, I think more of rich textures and glitz, not so much flowers. Here are a couple of ideas with gorgeous cake jewelry and minimal to no flowers:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2095440/rick-and-leanne-clements-wedding-cake

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2340078/2nd-wedding-cake (just elegant white roses)

http://doveweddingphotography.com/2011/04/12/vendors-we-love/vendors-we-love-maples-wedding-cakes/

MandiRose28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiRose28 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 9

Carnations are the official January flower

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 9

I love the suggestions so far, but here is the list I have, although I don't remember the source.

Winter: camellia, euphorbia, iris, nerine, pansy, poinsettia, snowdrop and tulip

Spring: amaryllis, anemone, daffodil, freesia, gerbera, lily of the valley, orchid, ranunculus, stephanotis, and sweet pea

Summer: anthurium, carnation, chrysanthemum, gypsophila, lily, magnolia, peony, rose and sunflower

Autumn/fall: agapanthus, aster, clematis, daisy, hosta, hydrangea, passion flower and pinks

All year round: calla lily, carnation, gypsophila, orchid, protea, rose, and tulip, (although this list may vary by region)

My list also gives color schemes, although I can think of plenty others aside from these:

White: rose, sweet pea, camellia, stephanotis, narcissus, gardenia, orchid, lily of the valley, jasmine, and gypsophila

Pink: rose, ranunculus, peony, sweet pea, carnation, tulip, protea,boronia, and lily

Lavender: lavender, lilac, anemone, statice, iris, delphinium, and hydrangea

Yellow: daffodil, sunflower, tulip, gerbera, lily, and freesia

Red: gerbera, rose, dahlia, poinsettia and amaryllis

Jan

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 9

Wow great help from all of you. Great reference thread for wedding cake flowers. Thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%