Teaching Classes To Children...

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 1:59pm by matthewkyrankelly

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 12:58am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to teach a 5 series cake decorating class to a homeschool coop in our area. Do you all have any suggestions for the topic of each class? Here's the run down:

The classes are only held once a month. They will be less than an hour long each. Age range from 10-17.

I'm probably going to come with the fondant and cakes pre-made. This just seems like one less logistical nightmare for a new experience like this. icon_smile.gif

I'm assuming that my first class topic will be covering the cake in fondant. I can imagine that will take an entire period. That can be a tricky thing the first few times.

After that, I'm not sure where to go. I need topics for 4 more classes. Do i just come up with a basic cake theme to make each class? Do I teach a separate technique each class?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it!

Thanks everyone!

5 replies
HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:29am
post #2 of 6

My mom and I have taught several classes for people from our church and I would definitely do at least one class on piping. An easy way to practice is to put templates, whether letters or designs, into a plastic sleeve like they use in binders; then the kids can just wipe it off when they're done rather than use up all their cake space. I would have a cake to practice on too, but that's a good way to start.

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 2:01am
post #3 of 6

I should have mentioned that another class on piping has been available to them for years. Most of them will have already been taught the piping techniques. This class is meant to focus on fondant.

Thanks!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 2:03am
post #4 of 6

I've taught kids' classes a number of times. It is smart to have cakes prepared for them. I would suggest that you do as many things as you can with cupcakes. They would be very pleased to learn the " cupcake swirl" with the 1M tip, for example. With a star tip you can teach them stars and rosettes. With a rose tip, you can teach them to make petal cupcakes, and later, roses, if you want. Another great thing for cupcakes is to make ribbon roses and leaves. If you have enough supplies, some basics fondant flowers would be fun. Simple fondant animals, too. One class could be covering a cake with fondant and making fondant dots to put on them. I've also supplied modeling chocolate and small cutters to make butterflies and other embellishments. Whatever you decide to do, I,m sure they will enjoy their classes.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 6

You can give them a circle cut out (cookie cutter) and a cupcake have them frost the cupcakes cut a circle out of fondant apply that to the cupcake and then decorate.
You can teach a class on how to create things that go on the cake such as animals, loop bows & cake toppers.
Like you said a class on how to cover a cake in fondant.
You can bring different supplies and have them learn hands on what each tool does....ball tool, extruder, Cricut machine, cutouts, molds and other fondant techniques.
Fondant flowers that are always being used like roses and cala lillies can be taught.
Just some suggestions Im sure you will get more experienced cakers giving you better suggestions.
Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 6

These are older kids. They want to actually be able to make a cake. Cupcakes are too small for them.

I would take one class on how to assemble a layer cake.(torting, filling, crumbcoating, and frosting) I would do a second class on simple piping skills for borders and writing. Maybe show two borders and how to get good consistency for writing. A third class could be simple flowers in buttercream. Fourth class could be covering in fondant. Fifth class would be fondant decorations.

This would hit most of the major topics in cake decorating.

Timelines for class: 10-15 mins presentaion, 30-40 mins. work, 10 minutes clean-up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%