Setting Up My Printer For Edible Images...

Decorating By MissBritt Updated 25 Jul 2012 , 12:01am by Pramodini

MissBritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBritt Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 11

I purchased a Canon iP3600 for printing edible images... I'm about halfway through setting it up & as I was about to install the print head, I noticed a little ink on the bag & my fingers (as well as a note in the instructions to be careful not to get it on yourself, blah blah...) & I'm just wondering if this will be an issue if I'm using this for edible images...

I have edible ink-- do I just follow the instructions, only substituting with the edible ink? Are there special print heads that you should buy if using for cakes? Or am I ok to use this one? Its a brand new printer, but this ink has me nervous. I'm sure this post is all over the place, lol, but any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif Thanks!

10 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 11

Are you saying that the ink that came with the printer has leaked on the print head? Or the edible ink that you bought has leaked? Or it's just leaked a bit in the package?

The print head is the same. Just substitute the ink. But if the non-edible ink has already gotten on the print head, I'm not sure what to tell you.

batterupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterupcakery Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

I just bought one myself. It is good to go once you install your edible ink. You just can't use any other kind of ink in it except for edible. One of the cartridges did leak out a little on me when I was installing the ink cartridge but everything works great! I love it.

MissBritt Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

Are you saying that the ink that came with the printer has leaked on the print head? Or the edible ink that you bought has leaked? Or it's just leaked a bit in the package?

The print head is the same. Just substitute the ink. But if the non-edible ink has already gotten on the print head, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The print head came in a bag/package all by itself... It didn't leak, but there is a little bit of ink on it (not enough to make a mess or get onto anything else)... And I'm just wondering if the print head itself is safe to use, considering that it clearly has non-edible ink on/in/around it. Hopefully that makes sense.

MissBritt Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterupcakery

I just bought one myself. It is good to go once you install your edible ink. You just can't use any other kind of ink in it except for edible. One of the cartridges did leak out a little on me when I was installing the ink cartridge but everything works great! I love it.

Ok, so its OK to use the print head that was supplied with the new printer... that's what I wanted to make sure of. Thanks icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

How did the brand new print head get non-edible ink on it? Did you buy a refurbished printer? If so, you will not be able to use it for edible printing.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 11

The manufacturer probably tried it out to make sure it was working properly before shipment. It will be fine.

MissBritt Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

How did the brand new print head get non-edible ink on it? Did you buy a refurbished printer? If so, you will not be able to use it for edible printing.

No, it was brand new... This is what confused me also. The instruction booklet even noted that there could be some ink on it, and to be careful not to get it on yourself. Hmm.

MissBritt Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

The manufacturer probably tried it out to make sure it was working properly before shipment. It will be fine.

I don't know how I feel about testing that theory, lol.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 11

If there is any possibility that you have non-edible ink on your print head, you can't use it. You cannot assume that by just wiping it off you've removed it all.

Pramodini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pramodini Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 12:01am
post #11 of 11

Hi, MissBritt,
We love refilling the cartridges ourselves. It is much less expensive. We use Photo Frost. We tried to use Jet Decorators cartridges for their Jet Decorating system and they didn't work. They spilled into the next color, ruining the everything. Not only are they expensive, they didn't work for us. And, they won't refund your money.

Try Photo Frost and just refill. Having sponge free is best as it gives you more ink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%