Wedding Cupcake Help Emergency!!!!

Baking By IndyTiff Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 1:25am by BlakesCakes

IndyTiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IndyTiff Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 12

So, I have 300 cupcakes due this weekend. The bride's colors are plum and navy and she wants the cupcakes to be navy. I am making a sample batch of icing and have already used 1 T and 2 t of CK Navy Blue dye and we are nowhere close. I took a bite to see how it did and of course,my mouth is blue. I'm going to have to special order way more dye and pray I get it in time, but right now we are nowhere close to the right color. Any ideas? I cannot buy the dye locally. At least not navy blue. But I guess my main concern is that it's going to be very costly to get enough dye and then once I do, it's going to ruin the taste, consistency and make everyone's mouths blue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 12

......my main concern is that it's going to be very costly to get enough dye and...it's going to ruin the taste, consistency and make everyone's mouths blue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...........

Yep it sure is going to stain everyone's teeth/lips icon_sad.gif Any dakr color will.
It takes time for those colors to 'develope'.....especially in buttercream....can take up to 10-12 hours. Just let the icing sit overnight and it should be dark enough. And yes, it probably will have a bitter tasteicon_sad.gif IF flavoring the icing is o.k. -- use some Unsweetened KoolAid powder to help flavor and color it. I have never measured it but I'd say about 1/4 teaspoon per cup of icing should do the trick. Pick any flavor with the right color you're going for. Otherwise, increase the vanilla (or whatever flavoring you usually use in your icing) - using at least 2 T per batch of icing that uses 2#s of sugar.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 12

Have you mixed any black in yet? It will help to darken the blue significantly. I made a deep navy using Wilton royal blue and black for a midnight stars cake. This will also cut down on the amount of color needed. However, dark colors always stain the teeth.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 12

Can you lightly colour the icing the navy blue and then paint the inside of the piping bag a darker hue?

I think you need to tell the bride the high chance of her having a blue smile in her wedding pictures with the navy icing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 12

........ colour the icing the navy blue and then paint the inside of the piping bag a darker hue.....

Doing this will definately make peoples mouths blue! icon_sad.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 12

Is it too late to somehow get the bride to agree on the coloring of ppl's teeth after eating these??? I'm sure your bride would understand completely for change and will thank you later once wedding is over! It really is nasty kind of and I only recommend deep colors like that for kid's parties more of. Just a thought. Hope it works out for you!

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 12

i think that should have been something to talk about at the consultation not a week before the wedding. Airbrush will solve this not sure you have time to order supplies for it but it takes way less color and will give you the tone you want. Yo DO want to tell her that everyone's mouth will be blue!!! let her decide what she wants you to do.
Good Luck

IndyTiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IndyTiff Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

i think that should have been something to talk about at the consultation not a week before the wedding. Airbrush will solve this not sure you have time to order supplies for it but it takes way less color and will give you the tone you want. Yo DO want to tell her that everyone's mouth will be blue!!! let her decide what she wants you to do.
Good Luck

I completely agree. However, I am new to baking and didn't think it would be this difficult to get navy. We never had a consultation, just did everything over phone calls. She is a friend of a friend. I don't have an airbrush machine and can't afford one at the moment, but I did think that would be nice at this point! I have mostly been dealing with the bride's mother and I honestly think at this point just the ivory ones would be pretty. She wants luster spray on top of them, pearls and edible diamonds (which I've made, but probably won't show up on white).

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 12

I also think you should let her know of the teeth staining issue. As a guest, I would not want to eat something only to find out my teeth and mouth are blue. Maybe you can use plum and navy cupcake liners and go with a lighter frosting. This way you are still incorporating her colors.

But as others mentioned, this is something you should have discussed a long time ago. I have done trial runs when trying new methods.

batterupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterupcakery Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 12

Royal blue & a touch of black will make navy. But you do have the blue mouth factor which would be awful for a wedding. I just did cupcakes for a wedding that I did their last name initials on top. Maybe suggest doing plum colored icing with navy blue initial on top. I just piped a fancy letter on top of mine & it looked great but I have also done the cupcakes with a fondant initial laying on top but wouldn't want to do 300 of those. lol!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 12

As an alternative if you can get the bride to change the plan a bit, can you bake the cupcakes in blue liners? And maybe add some blue pearls to the mix?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:25am
post #12 of 12

Well, for what my 2 cents is worth at this point, I'd really try hard to talk the bride out of such dark icing colors--it's really cruel to guests to have to walk around with navy & plum teeth......

I think navy & plum pearls on ivory icing would be lovely, navy or plum simple flower cut outs would work,too, and even a basic fondant disc in those colors with pearls on top would be so pretty--and so much kinder to the guests.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%