Royal Icing Help

Baking By MJbakes Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 10:54pm by MJbakes

MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 9

My brother in law asked me to make a cake for his wife's sister who's allergic to raw eggs. The recipe for royal icing I use has egg whites in it but he doesnt like the taste of fondant, and she likes the look of RI roses. Is there another recipe I could use that doesn't have eggs?

8 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 9

I'm pretty sure you can't make RI without egg in some form, I think even the meringue powders have dried egg in...is she allergic to that? Could you make the roses from buttercream?

MJbakes Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 9

yea, meringue has dried egg whites. I've never tried making BC roses, I'll have to give it a try this week.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 9

You definately can make roses and most any other flower using b'cream. Find a *crusting* b'cream recipe - and maybe reduce the fat/shortening used by about 1/4 cup to make it dry even more. Then once the flowers are made, let them dry at room temp - uncovered - overnight (at least - maybe longer depending on how humid your area is).

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 9

Buttercream roses are fine on tops of cakes. They do fall off the sides if they are full sized.

If the person can have cooked egg, then make a Swiss meringue (egg white and white sugar in double boiler to 160F) and stiffen it with icing sugar until you can pipe the roses. They will dry but not as hard as royal icing.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:36am
post #6 of 9

i'm wondering if they are planning on actually eating the decorations? I don't know many people who look at a RI rose and think "delicious!"--most likely they are put to the side. If they are dead set on eating them, then do the buttercream, but i'd double check to see if that is a requirement.

I'd opt for a gum paste/fondant rose first, then a RI one. Even with an egg allergy, if there is a button of buttercream that can be scraped off with the rose then the RI won't be in contact with the cake that is being eaten. My son has a severe egg allergy (raw and cooked) and I would be comfortable with that approach.

MJbakes Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 9

No they wouldn't be eating the roses, but she's so highly allergic to raw eggs she can't eat anything that touches it. Raw eggs in icing = raw eggs touch cake = she can't eat it icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 9

........Buttercream roses are fine on tops of cakes. They do fall off the sides if they are full sized......

I disagree with this. I have made 100s of cakes w/b'cream roses on the sides and they don't fall off. You just have to learn how to apply them.
Once the flower is pre-made and dried, pipe an open circle of b'cream icing on the back w/tip 3. It will create a suction when applied to the cake and hold the rose in place.

MJbakes Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Once the flower is pre-made and dried, pipe an open circle of b'cream icing on the back w/tip 3. It will create a suction when applied to the cake and hold the rose in place

Thanks Kakeladi, I'll have to give this a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%