Problems With Pettinice

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 7:59pm by cupcakesnbuttercream

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 3

I decided to order Pettinice to use for a wedding cake for this weekend, because I've seen good reviews on it & because I wanted a fondant that was as close to white as I could get.

Well....I decided to test it out (both on real cake & a dummy). For starters, it's way too soft & stretchy. On the real cake, it was a disaster...it tore & eventually sagged at the bottom(that may have been due to the AZ heat..not sure).
On the dummy cake, i couldn't even smooth the edges because it was so soft & the smoothers keep sticking to it.

I've searched cc & google for days & can't seem to find an answer. This is my first wedding cake & I have to make it 'perfect'. What can i do to make Pettinice work?

a few notes:
*Some threads I came across stated that the Pettinice was too hard or hard to knead....have they changed the formula or are different places getting different batches?

*I only used a sprinkle of powdered sugar on my rolling mat & the top of the fondant

*I've seen suggestions to add Glycerin to the fondant....but wouldn't that make it even worse?

Also, the wedding cake will have 3 dummy tiers and 1 real tier. I was going to cover the dummy tiers days in advance, but have noticed that Pettinice forms a 'shell' as it sits out. I'm worried that I won't be able to re-work it or smooth any nicks or dents that may happen. I'm going to be putting dragees on the cake, so should I cover the dummies but wait to put the dragees on until a day or two before?
I was really hoping to take stress away by decorating the dummies in advance icon_sad.gif

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 3

I love PettinIce because its soft and stays soft. I would not recommend it unless you are experienced and fast with fondant.

To fix your problem, just mix it 50/50 with Wilton fondant.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I love PettinIce because its soft and stays soft. I would not recommend it unless you are experienced and fast with fondant.

To fix your problem, just mix it 50/50 with Wilton fondant.

Thanks for your reply, I did mix a small piece with some Wilton & it helped a lot.
I use fondant 95% of the time, but this is my first time using Pettinice. I like everything else about it except the softness.

*I think if Wilton improved their taste, they would have one of the best fondants on the market thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%