Fondant Butterflies On Cream Cheese Frosted Cake - Question

Decorating By algal100 Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 1:56pm by algal100

algal100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
algal100 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cream cheese frosted cake and putting different colored fondant butterlies on the cake. I'm delivering the cake to a friend 2 days ahead of time. Will the fondant decorations be ok on top of the cake?

I'm not really afraid of condensation that may occur (I've heard that happends to fondant that goes in the fridge), as it will not be in the heat (the cake will go from the fridge to AC). My concerns are 1) the colors from the fondant bleeding onto the cake (a little is fine, a lot is not) and 2) the butterflies breaking from sitting on the frosting and getting too moist. I've never done this before so I'm just not sure the best way to do this.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 3

Deliver the butterflies in a box separate from the cake with some extras. Show the customer how to add them at the last minute.

algal100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
algal100 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 3

That's a great idea - I was hoping not to put her to work since there were prob be about 20. Plus there's the wow factor that she won't get. But it if's the best way then I might just have to. What about piping Happy Birthday in cream cheese - will that be ok? I've heard you can add merignue powder to frosting to prevent the colors from bleeding (though I've used bc without merignue and the frosting has never bled).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%