shrimpsey Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:59pm
post #1 of

Hi there, novice question here. My daughter has requested a Dora at the beach cake for her birthday which I am going to make, but I want to use piping gel with the water. I have never used it before, SO, do I just colour the piping gel blue, or do I use blue buttercream and then brush the piping gel over top?? Thanks

Also, for the beach part, what would you reccomend as the best choice for beach, I know there are a lot of different methods of doing it.

Thanks so much caking experts, lol!

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 3:05pm
post #2 of

Either works. I like blue piping gel over blue buttercream.

How about light brown sugar?

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 3:05pm
post #3 of

Color the gel to your desired color and put it on the cake over your already iced in BC cake. For the beach, I would prefer crushed up graham crackers. Others use brown sugar. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Price Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 5:33pm
post #4 of

I like finely crushed sugar cookies for the sand. I also heat the piping gel for a few seconds in the microwave. It makes it more liquidly to pour or brush on and will stiffen back up when it dries.

debidehm Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 5:49pm
post #5 of

I used crushed graham crackers for the beach. That's what I used for my beach cake...I think it looked pretty good...

shrimpsey Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:38pm
post #6 of

Thanks everyone! I will post pics when it is done. I decided to go with graham crumbs mixed with a little fine cane sugar. It will be done tomorrow. I am excited to do this one, its going to be fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%