Clikstix/tappits...which One And A Question Please!

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 22 Jul 2012 , 4:21am by debidehm

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 12:41am
post #1 of 5

this cake has some letters, they are pretty thin... see picture here;
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/one-direction/images/31520997/title/cake-photo

Do you think those are the same one's here that I can buy; http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=27004&name=Block%20Upper%20Case%20Letter%20Clikstix%20by%20Windsor%20Tooling%20Company

Also, if these are the right ones...any tips on how to cut these out of fondant without it sticking/stretchy since it's such a thin cut out?

Thank you all!

4 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 12:58am
post #2 of 5

The Clixstix letters you posted a link to are not the same as the letters on the cake. I have the letters in the link, and they're more of a blocked letter...thicker than the ones you want (if the letters you want are the ones on the cake).

Just put a little powdered sugar in the letters or on the fondant before you cut the letters out, and they pop right out.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 1:29am
post #3 of 5

thank you... let me ask, before i order these, since they look pretty close... i have 5 names, each 5 letters long...do you thiink they would all fit around the side of the cake similiar to that cake picture...with hearts (tiny) between them.... the cake would be either a 8inch or 9inch round.

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:03am
post #4 of 5

The letters in the cake are tappits FMM Sugarcraft Alphabet Set - Caps & Numbers. They are also available in lower case letters too. The fondant/gum paste must be VERY thin especially with this set. I use my pasta machine, let the fondant sit for a few minutes and they work great!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16145&name=FMM%20Sugarcraft%20Alphabet%20Set%20-%20Caps%20&%20Numbers

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 4:21am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystsparkle

thank you... let me ask, before i order these, since they look pretty close... i have 5 names, each 5 letters long...do you thiink they would all fit around the side of the cake similiar to that cake picture...with hearts (tiny) between them.... the cake would be either a 8inch or 9inch round.

I did a 8", using the Clixstix Groovy letters, (which again are thicker than the thin letters of the cake you linked), and was able to write 'Happy Birthday Crystal" (total of 20 letters) along the side of the cake, and it just went a little over half the cake. Since the total amount of letters you're using is 25 plus little hearts in between, you should have more than enough room.

I agree with Kmm0880. Once the letters are cut, let them set for a few minutes to stiffen up...they will be easier to handle.

Also, when I want to put letters along the side of the cake, I lay them along the base to get the positioning and spacing right before I "glue" them on. That way you can get your names laid out, and be able to see if you can add a heart or two between each name. If you look in my gallery, the Tinkerbell cake and the "Bill" written on the belt buckle of the blue jean cake have the letters you posted the link to from Clixstix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%