Hot Pink Buttercream...without A Bad Taste!

Decorating By TinkerCakes Updated 22 Jul 2012 , 2:43pm by BabyGerald

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 10

I have read over may posts regarding how to achieve hot pink buttercream, I have found that with Americolor electric pink or deep pink I can get the color I want, however I can TASTE a difference. I've heard Wilton's rose will also make hot pink but I'm scared I will get the same bad taste. Does anyone know how to achieve Hot Pink but it not drastically change the taste of the buttercream????

Thank you!!!!

9 replies
MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 10

I've heard that you can add some cherry juice (from a jar of marachino cherries) or extract to give it a pink to start with then it wouldnt take as much food color to make it the pink your looking for. But then you would also flavoring the buttercream, so I'm not sure if that would work for you.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 10

Try Wilton's 'No Taste Red'. It'll turn pink before it turns red.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 10

.... Wilton's 'No Taste Red'....turn pink before it turns red.....

Don't agree. You never really get a nice pink.

Adding cherry juice is o.k. but it thins the icing before
you can get a nice *hot pink*.....

Add some UNsweetened KoolAid powdericon_smile.gif You can use any red flavor - like cherry. Yes, it flavors the icing but it sure helps make the color. It's best if this is done at least the night before needing it so the color has time to develop well. After it sits some 6-12 hours there might be dark specks but all you need to do is give the icing a very good, vigerous stir and they will disappear.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:09am
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone. I explained to my friend about the icing situation and she said she really didn't want the icing flavored and just use the hot pink coloring. I just hate if someone there tastes it and says "this icing is terrible!"
I was thinking....sometimes people melt chocolate and put it in their icing, Do you think I could melt some pink candy melts and add it so I don't have to add as much of the hot pink??? I just really need the icing to crust and smooth well so I'm scared of trying new things on a cake for someone else. She wants the diamond pattern on the sides...that will be a first for me so I'm already a little nervous, any tips on that would be appreciated as well! (I'm buying the impression mat for that).

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:57am
post #6 of 10

I'm pretty sensitive about taste changes and I detect no difference using Wilton's Rose. I find that it takes very little to achieve the color you desire also. It comes out a very vibrant pink!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 3:27am
post #7 of 10

I agree with SPCOhio. I use it all the time.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 10

For what it's worth:

On my strawberry marble cake, I substitute seedless strawberry jam for some of the butter and milk in the frosting, and imitation strawberry extract for the vanilla, and add a couple drops of red food coloring (just the ordinary McCormick stuff, from the grocer), to get the pale pink overall coat, and add a bunch more strawberry jam, and more strawberry extract and red food coloring, to get a deep pink with which to pipe strawberry shapes onto the cake.

It's not flavorless, but it's certainly not unpleasant-tasting.

From my strawberry marble cake recipe:

1 lb powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
milk, as needed
1/4 cup + 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp imitation strawberry extract
red and green food coloring

Combine sugar, butter, and first portions of jam and strawberry extract, and enough milk to make it spreadable, adding 1-2 drops of red food coloring. Once cake is frosted, reserve a small portion, and tint green, for stems. To the remaining frosting, add the remaining jam and strawberry extract, and 2-4 more drops of red food coloring, and pipe strawberry shapes on the cake.

In terms of what I actually do, I have been pulling out the "stem" and "strawberry shape" portions before thinning the main frosting to spreadable consistency, in order to keep them at a stiffer, "barely pipeable" consistency, to reduce slumping.

slapsappyhappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slapsappyhappy Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 10

I agree, Wilton rose pink did not add any strange flavor. It is very potent! I added one toothpick into my icing and it was strong and beautiful. I was so happy because I have been trying to get this shade using red and the light pink from Wilton and now it is so easy!

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 10

What about mixing in some red powdered food color? I've *heard* this works - have not tried it myself yet. (So I can't comment about texture/flavor issues...)
Worth an experiment?
-j

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%