Vanilla Custard That Can Sit Out Of Fridge

Baking By Heather_bakes Updated 26 Jul 2012 , 1:56am by crumbcake

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I am making the wedding cake for my cousin's wedding. My daughter is also in the wedding party. So it is a busy couple of day.

Due to timing (decorating time, travel, rehearsal etc.) the cake will need to sit overnight plus out at the hall. (so over 24 hours at least). I have a moist cake and buttercream that will be fine but I have never done a vanilla custard before so I need a recipe that will not go bad in that time. Please help!!!

7 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 8

You might want to consider purchasing a sleeve of Bavarian cream filling, which has preservatives that would allow it to sit safely at room temperature for that long. I do not believe that any homemade custard would be able to meet your requirements.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 8

FYI some of the sleeved Bavarian "cream" contain no dairy products, only shortening, sugar, starch, water and white titanium dioxide.

If you use nondairy creamer mixed with water and instant pudding mix, you will have an edible food substance that might not go bad before the cake is eaten.

Any recipe with milk, cream MUST be kept refrigerated or your cousin's wedding will be memorable for the large number of trips to the hospital.

kelleym Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

FYI some of the sleeved Bavarian "cream" contain no dairy products, only shortening, sugar, starch, water and white titanium dioxide.

If you use nondairy creamer mixed with water and instant pudding mix, you will have an edible food substance that might not go bad before the cake is eaten.

Since pudding powder contains dried skim milk, I am not at all certain that this combination would produce a non-potentially hazardous product. It is the pH and aW of the final product which determines whether or not it requires time and/or temperature control.

Yes, sleeved fillings contain ingredients and chemicals which render them shelf-stable. That is why I recommended it in this instance.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 8

Well I guess you would start by reading the label on the pudding mix.

Instant pudding mix that I buy lists on its label sugar, starch, and other stuff but no mention of dry milk powder...when mixed with water it produces a clear starch gel that is shelf stable unless it starts fermenting.

kelleym Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

Even if your brand contains no milk powder, non-dairy creamer (liquid) requires refrigeration just as milk does. http://www.coffee-mate.com/Faqs.aspx

I would just hesitate to make that concoction and cross my fingers that it's shelf stable.

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:22am
post #7 of 8

lol ok, no custard. Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:56am
post #8 of 8

The non dairy Bavarian Cream from the sleeves are quite tasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%