How To Create This Buttercream Effect- Cupcake

Baking By sillywabbitz Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 3:33am by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,
I'm in love with this style of buttercream on the cross cupcakes. Does anyone know how it was done? Also if you go to this link you can see a side view in the background.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designabledreams/5710533234/in/photostream/

I just can't quite figure it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to try this technique next weekendicon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 9

Possibly the Lily of the Valley tip held sideways? Not sure.

CWR41 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Does anyone know how it was done?

It's done with any large open star tip (preferrably one with 32 points), and you twist your wrist back and forth while piping.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DE4E-475A-BAC0-5286A221EFC16EC2&killnav=1

sillywabbitz Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both. I will play around this weekicon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

If you aren't getting the effect you want while twisting your wrist, try piping in an up and down motion with even pressure while the pastry bag is straight on top of the cupcake (no angle). The ridges that come out of the star tip will be forced to fold into a ruffle.

sillywabbitz Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 3:23am
post #6 of 9

CWR41,
Thanks so much. It's funny you say try the back and forth motion. The only time I came close to getting the look is when I went straight across the cupcake kind of in a back and forth motion, but any attempt at going around the cupcake just didn't come out correctly. I'll post a pic when I'm back on my regular computer. I'm determined to figure this out. Thanks again for all of your help.

sfandm Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 9

Thise cupcakes are gorgeous. thanks for sharing the pics.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 9

I think it's done w/tip 352 (or smaller version) and make quick shells that are pulled a bit.

sillywabbitz Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 3:33am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the additional ideas. I asked the original designer and they said I could use a 6B or 8B. I tried the 6B without success. I'm going to look for an 8B.

Here is what I made for my friend. She said she didn't even notice a difference but it's a totallly different look.

The entire time I just felt I was getting way too much frosting on the cupcake as well. I'm going to get this technique eventuallyicon_smile.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%