How Many People Will This Serve?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 8:57am by leah_s

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:42am
post #1 of 8

I will be making six 10", one 7", one 9" and two 12" cakes. How many servings would I get? Thank you.

7 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 8:11am
post #2 of 8

Here's a chart you could use now and in the future:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

It uses the industry standard. If your cakes are cut bigger or smaller, the serving number will change.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 8

Interesting. I have never been able to get these no. of servings from wilton serving size chart. If cakes shrink by 1/2" does this mean that you will still get 50 servings from a 10" square cake? Most of the 1/2" lost during baking is filled back with icing and fondant. I never was able to serve these ends to customers. I realized that when I cut someone's wedding cake and the perimeter of the cake was not used because it was more icing than cake.

I started using http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm for serving sizes.

What do other people use?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 8

Are you making 4" tall cakes? That's what the charts are based on.

........cakes shrink by 1/2" does this mean that you will still get 50 servings from a 10" square cake? Most of the 1/2" lost during baking is filled back with icing and fondant. I never was able to serve these ends to customers......
Earlene's chart tends to discard servings so you end up loosing money using it Or have to increase your per serving pric icon_sad.gif. Yes, I have gotten the # of servings the Wilton charts show all the time. In cutting always treat a round cake as if it is a sq. Just come in from the edge 2" and cut across the whole cake; then cut that into 1" slices. Most pieces of cake will only have the bit of icing on the top....the end pieces will, of course, be covered with icing. Often someone will come along and ask for that end piece just because they want the extra icing! icon_smile.gif I never discarded those end pieces.....never.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 8

Cutting a cake correctly takes a bit of practice but I've had no problem getting those #s of servings as described.
I cut round cakes like squares. Indydebi-style.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:31am
post #6 of 8

Okay thanks! Yes all my cakes are 4"H. I guess I shouldn't feel bad about those end servings anymore icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 7:38am
post #7 of 8

Mine end up about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2"H. I need 300 servings. As for cutting the cake my friend is going to have to deal with that. I will drop off the cake and set it up and then I'm out of there. I'm not a party person never have been.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:57am
post #8 of 8

I have found the Wilton serving charts to be quite accurate. And personally I prefer the end pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%