School Or No School????

Business By Momofjaic Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 10:11pm by costumeczar

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:36am
post #1 of 5

ok I've been decorating for a couple of years now and I would love to start my own business someday ( kiddos too young now and I need more exp. ) any way a local tech school has started a culinary department ( a few years ago I think) I was thinking about taking some classes. I can get a technical certificate in baking and pastries or I can get a degree in baking and pastries ( the certificate is about 26 hours shy of the degree.) it will take me a little longer ( b/c of kids) but I want and need to get out of the house. And would love the experience. My question is did culinary school help? Or would you tube and Wilton classes be the same? I know it's kind of vague sorry! Would love imput from both sides. Thanks

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:57am
post #2 of 5

If you want to start your own business, I recommend taking business classes instead (accounting, marketing, operations, finance, etc.) and continuing to practice cake decorating on your own. The baking programs at culinary schools are usually more comprehensive than you would need as a cake decorator.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:18am
post #3 of 5

If you can do the class, go for it! There is nothing like proper hands on learning.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 5

If you must go to school, I'd suggest the certificate rather than a full on degree. Most Culinary programs provide a whole lot of info not directly related to cake decorating. If the certificate will let you pick and choose those classes you feel more inclined to take then go for it. That's what I'm doing. So far I've learned way more outside the classroom than I have in the program.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 5

I have a certificate in pastry arts and I'd defintiely say that it was helpful. Unless the full degree has a lot of cake decorating classes (most programs don't) the certificate will give you the basics with the sanitation classes etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%