Piped Swirly Rose Design --Would Cream Cheese Frosting Work?

Decorating By dganna Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 12:58pm by dganna

dganna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dganna Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:27am
post #1 of 6

I hope the description makes sense-- I have seen tons of cakes where the design is a simple swirly rose along the sides and top of the cake. All of them seem to have been made with buttercream frosting. Has anyone tried this design using cream cheese frosting? Did it work?

Here is the link to an awesome sample of the design I am talking about (I hope this works....)

Thanks to I AM BAKER, who is the creator of this work of art ...

http://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/

5 replies
BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:43am
post #2 of 6

I don't see why it wouldn't? It might be helpful if the cream cheese icing was a crusting icing-and a little stiff. Other than that--go for it! Any cake would be yummy with that much cream cheese on it!

dganna Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

"Any cake would be yummy with that much cream cheese on it!"

LOL...so true, Blue Rose! Thanks!

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:09am
post #4 of 6

This is the crusting cream cheese recipe I use and it is great . Tastes yummy and the rose swirl works great with it. Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
17 Oct 2005

Posted by edencakes in Frostings

Rating: 8.7/10 (138 votes cast)
This is a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing that Ive seen floating around this site in the forums. People are constantly looking for it and it wasnt in the recipes, so I thought I would post it. Its not mine, Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions
Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioners sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

Read more at http://cakecentral.com/recipe/crusting-cream-cheese-icing#Qiz6rgOYVtt9AWIU.99

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:39am
post #5 of 6

Yes, cream cheese icing does lovely with this technique. I have used regular cream cheese icing several times. There is a picture of on in my gallery.

dganna Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

Wow! Thanks, Funtodecorate!! This is great....exactly what I needed!

Thank you! Thank you!

And thanks, too, LKing, for your input. I really appreciate it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%