What Can I Do To Fix My Fondant?

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 11:24am by DeniseNH

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,
we usually don't have humid weather too much where I live but the past month has not been good. I've make 2 batches of fondant and it is still sticky . I've made them before and had no problem. My gumpaste which is Nick Lodge recipe won't even dry out my figures.
I have a cake due tomorrow and it is iced with 50/50 butter shortening buttercream. Used all the time. My fondant doesn't seem sticky until I start to roll it out and then try and lift it up. It then sticks to the mat, Tears, and then stretch out of shape.
Do I need to add more powedered sugar? The filling needs the cake to be refrigerated. So I put the cake in the frig and thought I'd try and see what the fondant did after I took it out .I expect some sweating, but its just a sticky mess. I'm afraid If I take it out of the frig in the morning and let it come more to room temp and then add the rest of fondant decor it will slide off. What am I doing wrong or how can I fix my fondant to make it not so sticky?
How do you people that live in a very humid place deal with this all the time. I think it would be enough to make to quit!
thanks for any help

sorry meant to post fondant recipes I am usingIngredients
8 Cups of Mini Marshmellows (Im using Jet Puffed)-And Im measuring 8 Cups in my Pampered Chef Batter Bowl
3 TBS of Water
1 TBS of Flavor
9 Cups (ish) Powdered Sugar Sifted
2 ish Heaping TBS of Shortening (I just used one of our large kitchen spoons so it could be more)+ whatever youll use to grease your work space

Read more at http://cakecentral.com/recipe/mmf-easy-peasy-used-kitchenaid#vRogoQOcCK9kXhKQ.99
WendyAmount  Ingredient
1 BAG  MINI MARSHMALLOWS
2 TBLSP   CHOCOLATE SYRUP
2 TBLSP   CORN SYRUP
1-2 TBLSP  FLAVORING OF CHOICE ( I USED CAPPUCCINO)
2 TBLSP  DUTCH/DARK COCOA
1 TBLSP  COCOA FOR KNEADING INTO FONDANT
3-4 CUPS  ICING SUGAR
1-? TBLSP ( AS NEEDED )  SHORTENING ( LIKE CRISCO )

Read more at http://cakecentral.com/recipe/homemade-chocolate-mmf-marshmallow-fondant#61EC882gWHOS3xSS.99

9 replies
lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 12:29am
post #2 of 10

It could be a bad batch or the humidity, not sure. I know that when I use any marshmallows other than store brand, I have trouble with consistency and bubbles. I also have terrible luck with homemade chocolate fondant!! It's never ever elastic and stretchy as it should be, once chocolate enters the picture. I've just resolved to purchase chocolate fondant when I need it (or brown or black colored fondant).

Some swear that fondant can be refrigerated with no trouble, but I think it depends on the reliability of the fondant you are using! So if you are starting out with a bad batch, I think refrigeration may make it worse!

Not sure about what to do. If the fondant is misbehaving, I'm not sure you have any option other than to peel it off and start anew in the morning. Maybe someone else will have more experienced advice.

Good luck either way! I have great luck with Peggy's MMF recipe--followed to the letter, using a scale to weigh the marshmallows (and again, I swear by my store brand marshmallows): http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm . I've ventured to try several others, and have even altered Peggy's recipe, all with bad results! When I go back to the basics of her recipe, it always works.

funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 12:53am
post #3 of 10

so adding more powedered sugar won't help?
man it gets exspensive if everytime this happens I have to throw it away icon_cry.gif

I know one time I made a recipe with different ingred and it like never stiffened up. I must of addend 4 stinkin lbs of powedered sugar and still kept sticking to my counter. Needless to say it landed in the garbage! icon_mad.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:09am
post #4 of 10

I have no idea why it's not firming up for you!!! I am just not familiar enough with that recipe to help--I don't know what the 16oz of marshmallows I use equals in cups (to compare with your recipe). Maybe you are heating your marshmallows too much?? Are you letting the fondant rest over night before using?? It may be too hot still (even thought it might not feel like it). It does firm up a bit upon cooling, and that makes it more pliable/usable with corn starch for sticking/rolling.

I know that if I add too *much* p.s., then it is no longer elastic and just breaks over edges. It's frustrating, but like I said, the only recipe I've ever had consistency with is Peggy's--when I follow it exactly and when I use store brand marshmallows icon_wink.gif

I hope yo have enough left over to recover--do you?? I guess as a last ditch option you could run to Michael's and use store bought fondant!! Just as an emergency icon_wink.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:33am
post #5 of 10

Try kneading in some Tylose or Gum-tex. If you have air conditioning, run it. If you have a dehumidifier, run it. I'm afraid it's going to tough going for you. I once had a cake that I decorated by standing in front of the fridge with door open and the cake inside it. No more perishable fillings for me after that cake!

funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:04am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the help. But does this mean that the fondant is no good and will have to be thrown away or can I try and make some decor and leave them out to dry. I have put them in my oven before . Turned the oven on for a few min then turn off. Put in the decorations. It's not too hot but it did help dry them more. I was going to cover the top part of this cake with the fondant but it isn't going to work for this . I just hate to throw out the whole bunch.
thanks again.
Wendy

lrlt2000 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:31am
post #7 of 10

If it's the leftover, no, I wouldn't throw it out. I use not-so-great MMF batches for details. It might not be great for covering a whole cake, but you can still use it for extras.

As you make small details with the fondant, adding corn starch when you roll out/cut/etc., it may toughen up, too.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:14am
post #8 of 10

Try a little bit of tylose. it should firm it up.

funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:15am
post #9 of 10

thanks for the help. Still in the learning process . I see why some of you get frustrated . icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 11:24am
post #10 of 10

I use MMF all the time and trust me, it really is the humidity. Can you turn on an air-conditioner - one that draws out the moisture in the kitchen? If not, try making your fondant late at night after the house cools down or early in the morning. if it keeps sticking to your counter, you're not putting enough powdered sugar under it. If you feel you've added too much powdered sugar then roll the MMF out on a non-stick mat or lightly grease your counters surface with Crisco or hi-ratio shortening then roll it out. Fall can't come soon enough for all of us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%