Delicious But Ugly Frosting - How To Make It Pretty??

Decorating By algal100 Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 4:46pm by carmijok

algal100 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 11

People rave over salted caramel frosting but it isn't pretty. It's a blah brown color and it is bumpy b/c it has salt on it. It doesn't matter as much on cupcakes, but a cake wouldn't look nice. I've added white coloring to it - that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to decorate a cake to make it look good??

10 replies
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 11

Along with the salt - which I'm assuming is sprinkled on top, *not* mixed in - sprinkle some edible glitter. Everything looks better with glitter!

BakingIrene Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 11

Maybe the best way to add it to a cake is only on the tops. It would look fine as filling and on top of a cake iced with chocolate buttercream on the sides.

sheeny Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 11

I think the cake done like this would be beautiful!

http://www.phemomenon.com/chocolate-pumpkin-cake/

pinkfluffycupcake Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe you should try a different recipe or a different type of salt? I found this picture and the icing looks very smooth: http://www.whiskiebusiness.com/2011/05/brown-sugar-caramel-cake-with-salted.html#!/2011/05/brown-sugar-caramel-cake-with-salted.html

MsGF Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 11

I made a 6" cake with it. I iced it smooth, sprinkled with salt, piped a bead border and topped it with a large yellow gum paste rose with gum paste green leaves. Looked fine and tasted yummy too. It is my Mom's favorite. I gave it to her.

Just use it like regular Buttercream.

Good Luck.

cupadeecakes Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 11

If someone wants salted caramel icing, but a white cake, maybe just use it as a filling, or ice the entire cake and then add a coat or 2 or white buttercream over it, just for the color.

algal100 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Along with the salt - which I'm assuming is sprinkled on top, *not* mixed in - sprinkle some edible glitter. Everything looks better with glitter!

Yes, sprinkled on top icon_smile.gif Thanks for the tip...you are so right about glitter!!

algal100 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

If someone wants salted caramel icing, but a white cake, maybe just use it as a filling, or ice the entire cake and then add a coat or 2 or white buttercream over it, just for the color.

Wow - THAT is a GREAT idea!! Thank you!!

algal100 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny

I think the cake done like this would be beautiful!

http://www.phemomenon.com/chocolate-pumpkin-cake/

Love this - it's gorgeous - thanks!!

carmijok Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

thumbs_up.gif I do this all the time for brightly colored frostings. Cuts the amount of highly colored frosting needed. I've even used white buttercream over chocolate buttercream. Make sure the buttercream on your cake is cold and hard before applying top coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%