My Rv Cake Sunk!....flower Nail?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 20 Jul 2012 , 4:20am by DeniseNH

mystsparkle Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!! So i just tried a new Red Velvet scratch Recipe.. (not sure if it matters that it was red velvet..since i know this can happen w/ other recipes too) I made a cupcake first, to test how long it bakes/taste... I used an ice cream scoop to put the batter in, baked it 350 for 13 minutes..came out nice and moist.

So then i went ahead and put 2 cups of batter in my 6 inch round....baked at 350...for 25 minutes and when i tested it, the toothpick came out clean...and after it sat on the counter for a bit, it sunk down..and basically wasn't cooked in the middle...ALL the way down..about the size of a baseball hole I had to dig out..basically the whole cake! the sides were perfect....

My question, after all that writing (sorry!) Is, do you use a flower nail for such a small cake? I never have to for my vanilla/chocolate recipes... but was wondering what I could do when i retry this recipe again.... Thanks!!

2 replies
AKS Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 3:09am
post #2 of 3

If the recipe was executed correctly, I would try the flower nail. I use the durable 3d cake recipe, which is a thick, heavy batter so I use a flower nail whenever I bake it-regardless of cake pan size. I would use one nail for 6", 8", 2 nails for 10" and go up from there. HTH. Good luck!

DeniseNH Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:20am
post #3 of 3

I've never had a red velvet cake bake up high like other cakes. Usually I get about an inch to an inch and a half. Wonder if it's all the red coloring? This happens whether its scratch or a mix. You shouldn't need a nail for such a small cake. Try putting a small amount of batter in the pan, about a third of a panfull and see if that bakes properly. You may be overloading your pan. So odd that the toothpick came out clean. Let us know what you've discovered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%