Will It Last?

Decorating By MJbakes Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 8:50am by Nats2108

MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 12

So I had a cake order this week and it was confirmed to be picked up tomorrow evening. So I finished decorating the cake this afternoon. My friend ordered the cake and it was for her friends moms birthday. (I told her to stop ordering cakes for her friends, if her friend wants a cake they can order it from me themselves). Anyways, I send her a text cause the cake was finished telling her I could deliver it tonight or she could pick it up tomorrow before 4pm because I work tomorrow night. (I only do this when its a close friend or family other wise I deliver it). Anyways she says, "Oh I'll just pick it up, but I wasn't going to until Sunday! And just confirming the price is $$$" I replied "Yes thats the price, and you said you wanted the cake for July 20th" Then she goes on how she sent me a message on facebook through her phone but her phones been acting up, I never got the message, hence the cake being done on a thursday afternoon instead of a saturday afternoon/night.
So frustrated right now! Will the cake last? Will the fondant keep the cake moist? I know they say that it does but for how long? I know its her own fault but this will put a bad rap on me if the cake is dry. I know theres nothing I can do about it. But really why does she have to be so stupid and send me a message on facebook through her phone when her phone is acting up.

Thanks for listening to me vent! lol

11 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJbakes

Will the cake last? Will the fondant keep the cake moist? I know they say that it does but for how long?

It will last.
It will become more moist in time with the fondant holding the moisture in.
Three or four days isn't a big deal. It will start to grow mold in about two weeks.

MJbakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel alot better! I'm still trying to understand why someone so close to me would do something like this, doesn't make sense how she could be so...i dunno...dumb lol

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJbakes

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel alot better! I'm still trying to understand why someone so close to me would do something like this, doesn't make sense how she could be so...i dunno...dumb lol

After having dealt with some of the stupidest people all day, I can tell you it's not intentional. I think everyone is just expected to keep up with too much these days. Even with the ipads and iphones and blackberrys, there is a limit. Some of us just reach it faster than others. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 12

In this extreme weather you want to be sure the temp in the house is cool.....hopefully you have an air condiditoned home. If not, you probably should box it then put in refrigerator.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 12

You can also freeze it.Read this advice from BlakesCakes. hth

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7280353#7280353

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 12

This cake was baked and decorated 8 days before it was served. I was having surgery on the 23rd so I baked and decorated before my DH came home on the 20th. I hid the decorated cake in a cake keeper (plastic tray with cover) under my canner in the basement (a very cold basement) so he wouldn't find it while I was hors de combat so to speak. Had the by-pass on the 23rd, got home on the 26th and celebrated his b-day with the neighbors on the 28th. The cake was perfect:

http://www.lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.ca/2011_03_27_archive.html

MJbakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

In this extreme weather you want to be sure the temp in the house is cool.....hopefully you have an air condiditoned home. If not, you probably should box it then put in refrigerator.

Where I am today it was 41C with the humidity, so when I'm making cakes I normally set my central air to 16C compared to 18 or 19C.

MJbakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 12

And thanks to everyone else for the advice. I'm going to wrap it in a box and put it in a cupboard in my basement. icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:37am
post #10 of 12

I froze a fondant covered cake for 1 week and it defrosted beautifully. Do not worry.

Nats2108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nats2108 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 8:47am
post #11 of 12

Hi There,

i know it was last year you posted this, however i really need to know....

im doing two handbag cakes, but going away on holiday, wil the cake covered with butter cream and fondant last for 8 days?

and if there is anything i could possibly do to make it still yummy? maybe put extra butter cream? thicker fondant? maybe glaze the cake with a sugar syrup??????

if this cant be done id rather not do the cake than to have a stale cake!

Nats2108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nats2108 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 8:50am
post #12 of 12

hey,

Did your cake last?

need to bake a cake and have it served 8 days later......

not sure if i should even try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%