Need Whip Cream Icing Advice For Wedding Cake

Decorating By elizabethdowney09 Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 3:36pm by BlakesCakes

elizabethdowney09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizabethdowney09 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to make a 3 layer birthday cake covered with fondant icing. The problem is that I don't know which frosting to use, a whipped cream frosting or a buttercream one? I will make the cake one day in advance which will "hold" better?
If you could answer me asap because I am running out of time. Thank you very much.

11 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 12

I have found that whipped cream doesn't work well under fondant. I think it's because it has too much water and air. The fondant is heavy compared to the whipped cream.
Buttercream sets better and is heavier to hold the fondant in place. It also holds shape better.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 12

Yep, no whipped cream icing under fondant. Just creates a big, wet, sticky mess. Buttercream or gananche are fine.

Rae

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 12

Whipped cream and fondant are enemies! I vote for ganache.

elizabethdowney09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizabethdowney09 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 7:03am
post #5 of 12

thank you very much for your help.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 11:44am
post #6 of 12

I've heard you can add whipped cream to MBC, but only a 40% fat cream which is very difficult to find.

So I vote (Meringue) buttercream.

Jennah0905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennah0905 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 11:54am
post #7 of 12

Okay so this doesnt have anything to do with this post... but HOWWWW do I post a new forum topic?! I can't figure it out and I need advice!

Jennah0905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennah0905 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 11:57am
post #8 of 12

Actually, I have something else to add to this topic. I used Swiss Buttercream... it has a whipped taste... and is fantastic under fondant! Thats what I would suggest icon_smile.gif

hieperdepiep Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah0905

Okay so this doesnt have anything to do with this post... but HOWWWW do I post a new forum topic?! I can't figure it out and I need advice!

Go to the specific forum and you'll see at the left the sign the button 'new post'.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieperdepiep

I've heard you can add whipped cream to MBC, but only a 40% fat cream which is very difficult to find.

If any cream is used then the cake MUST be refrigerated at all times.

Bad idea to add any sort of cream to a frosting on any cake with fondant.

hieperdepiep Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:

Offcourse a creambased filling/ frosting must be refridgerated, I do tah t all the time. Forgot to mention that. And cannot last that long.

I actually read somewhere that snarkybaker did put a 40% cream in her MBC . I assumed she put in under fondant, but I might be mistaken.
You can add a small amount of liquid to your MBC, even under fondant, just not that much. I don't know her ratio.
O dear, I am getting unsure now.. was it actually whipped cream or just cream?
I just had this post in my mind of snarkybaker where she was talking about MBC and cream 40%, which intriged me.
So maybe you should just forget my fist post . icon_redface.gif

Only my vote : (M)BC.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:

Well, not really.

I use an AMBC recipe with heavy whipping cream in it, rather than water or coffee creamer. There is so much sugar and fat in the recipe--both of which are natural preservatives--and so little water (only the small bit in the cream which isn't fat)--that it doesn't require refrigeration. It can stay at room temp for several days, at least.

I use it under fondant all of the time and it works like a charm, but of course, the heavy cream isn't whipped before being added, so this recipe doesn't "deflate" or weep under fondant, either.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%