One More Steamer Question? Will This Work?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 11:18pm by DeniseNH

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 4

I hoping to find a steamer that I can use at any angle. Specifically pointing horizontally down to the counter top when I have a sheet of gum paste items that I'd like to steam. I've read that most steamers will spit water if you do this though. However, this steamer looks as if it's meant to be used at any angle, but I've been searching online and can't confirm that.. does anyone know?

Here's the steamer I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CR9KGA/?tag=cakecentral-20

3 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, This comment it's based on my observations when using a steamer, I'm no expert icon_wink.gif but I have a Conair steamer and I've used it for clothes and fondant cakes.

The "spitting" is water condensation on the hose or the head of the steamer, since steam will rise naturally it gets trapped on the head or hose of the steamer, and when you got some accumulation of steam trapped, it will fall down in the form of water drops. I'm not sure the one on the link would work because of the form of the steamer head. I think you got a better chance with a steamer that has a spout.
Something like this one:
http://www.kopykake.com/store/steam-jet-cleaner-steam-110v.html

I hope this helps you.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 4

My experience with my steamer is to just make sure that the items to be steamed are kept vertical in front of the steam outlet.

For wired flowers, I stick them into a block of styrofoam. For other things, I just hold them in the stream of steam and move it around to get all of the sides.

For cakes, the tops get done as the upper edges of the sides are done.

As said above, you point a steamer down and as the steam rises, the droplets collect on the steamer head and drip--every single time.

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4

Here's another idea. For itty-bitty pieces you'd like to steam, place them on one of those flat screens you place over frying pans to keep bacon from spitting all over your stove. Then heat up your tea kettle to boiling and hold the items on the screen over the steam for a second. Works beautifully. And no spitting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%