What Kind Of Buttercream To Use For Decorating And Filling?

Decorating By sweetpoison Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 11:55pm by ibeeflower

sweetpoison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpoison Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

Non dairy? Royal icing? Will butter cream made out of cream cheese with butter melt at room temperature?

6 replies
sweetpoison Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 8:15am
post #2 of 7

anybody??

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 9:03am
post #3 of 7

Non dairy

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

"Room temperature" is anywhere between 60F and 99F in the northern hemisphere right now. You have to be more specific when you ask if an icing will melt.

Royal icing is used as a covering for fruitcakes and competition cakes.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 7

Cream cheese tends to soften. Think about it, you bring your butter and cream cheese to room temp. before combining. Notice, I said soften. It won't melt if is is not too warm or at the temp. previous poster said. It does depend on where you are too. It is over 100 degrees and humid where I am so I don't dream about cream cheese for cakes where it may need to sit out.

Royal dries a little hard and can break easily. I use it for transfers sometimes. For my cakes especially in the climate I described I use a non crusting frosting. I don't don't use butter and I ice my cakes with it and do some decorations as well. For other decorations like flowers I use gumpaste.

sweetpoison Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your replies
Ibeeflower, do you use shortening in your icing? I thought crusting buttercream worked well in hot, humid weather?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison

Thanks for your replies
Ibeeflower, do you use shortening in your icing? I thought crusting buttercream worked well in hot, humid weather?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Yup, I use an all shortening based icing. I use Sharon Zambito's recipe and it is super yummy. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%