"from-Scratch" Confused...

Baking By sfandm Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 4:44am by scp1127

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 4

OK, so I really want to use the WASC recipe on here, the one that calls for the cake mix plus other additives. But I am confused about some things, and just wanted to get other members own viewpoints, and comments on this, which I think I am being anal about, but I am going to ask anyway.

If it is supposed to be a scratch recipe, not the one listed for WASC, but my own, but I am using Raspberry puree I just bought at the store, then how is it from scratch?

If I am adding other ingredients besides the BC cake mix, then how is it not scratch? I like the overall texture and moistness a BC cake mix brings to any recipe, probably because of the pudding in the mix.

If a customer is allergic to certain items, and I HAVE made an all scratch recipe, ie, no BC mix, but I DID use the canned Raspberry puree purchased from the store, how do I let the customer know what is in the can, if most of the ingredient words are foreign?

So, am I being anal about this? Nice comments are appreciated, since I know some of us like the box cake mixes and others think they are Taboo.

Thanks.

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

Scratch vs. mix is really a continuum, and different people have different opinions on where to draw the line on what is and is not scratch. There's nothing wrong with either approach.

If you used a raspberry puree for a food allergic customer, simply include the puree's ingredients in the list of ingredients for the final product.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 4

I think that it all depends on everyone's personal preference. If you bake from scratch but use canned raspberry puree, it's no different than using bottled applesauce, canned pumpkin or bottled vanilla extract. If you were being more particular about your recipes, you would grow your own raspberries, preferably organically, and puree them yourself. The same way you would make your own vanilla extract, except it's hard to grow vanilla unless you happen to live in a tropical rainforest (at least I think that's it's climate...I buy the bottle icon_biggrin.gif )

And do as Jason suggests on listing ingredients. If you are concerned with the additives and unnecessary stuff in a bottle of fruit puree, you should try another brand, probably paying more, or look into pureeing fresh or frozen raspberries which you can buy anywhere and puree in seconds.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 4:44am
post #4 of 4

I have a very few ingredients that are not "from scratch", but for me, the ingredients and the method of the ingredient must be in keeping with my branding. For example, my fondant is Fondarific, but it is considered a very good fondant. It smells good and tastes good, not like some that reek of chemical smells and tastes.

On my site, I usually give the name of the ingredient, such as the award winning gourmet jams from Bittersweet Herb Farm when I don't make them myself. My liqueurs are obviously not made by me either.

Scratch is the method, not necessarily the iindividual ingredients. It would be considered the opposite from a box mix even though each could use a purchased raspberry puree.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%