Now I Know Why People Charge $$$ For Acrylic Towers

Business By sfandm Updated 17 Jul 2012 , 10:46pm by sfandm

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 3

Just called 7 places close to me, within 500 miles to find out prices on acrylic sheets, 4 x 8' 1/4" thick. I am going to start making my cupcake towers for future cupcake shop. Here are my results...which BTW, made me sick...

Co 1- Minimum 5 sheets- $162.00 per sheet, cutting fee each for Fedex delivery of $8 each sheet, and $100 shipping

Co. 2- Minimum order $500, with 1 sheet being $127, and shipping thru commercial truck only, no Fedex or UPS

Co. 3- Don't carry in stock, but can special order for $443

Co. 4- 2 x 4' piece, matte 1/4" piece for $21.99

And it just got worse from there. I will stick to foam board and melamine construction.

2 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 3

My husband and I own a glass shop so I can answer this for you. Acrylic is a petroleum based product and we all know what gas prices are like! This is the reason that I tend to use other products myself. Even with the ability to buy wholesale, unless it is a cutoff from another job, it is just too expensive. HTH

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Jenise, I never knew what it was made with. I did some more research and I will just use foam board and thin plywood, in various shapes and sizes, I will make them myself and rent them out. I will probably order the 10' length of plexiglass from the first company tho, it is only $2.25 per foot, so I can put lights in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%