You Know Your A Baker When.....

Decorating By ChristineCMC Updated 20 May 2017 , 1:50pm by delicut

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 39

You drop a bag of walnuts all over your kitchen floor and instead of swearing you yell, "oh crumb coat it!"

38 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 39

you know you're a baker when your signature scent becomes vanilla extract....

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 12:01am
post #3 of 39

I actually bought vanilla perfume. LOVE it. And you know you're a baker when after a late night of decorating followed by silliness and uncontrolled laughter your husband says you must have been sniffing too much of that white stuff...........Powdered sugar of course.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:34am
post #4 of 39

You know you're a baker when you see potential cake designs in EVERYTHING! icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:48am
post #5 of 39

You know your a cake decorator when you are at a funeral and you realise that you still have the packet of flowerpaste in your cleavage that you put there to keep warm while you worked right up until it was time to leave.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 4:30am
post #6 of 39

You know you're a baker when you start disinfecting the kitchen to fix breakfast.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:02am
post #7 of 39

When you know YOU'RE not an English teacher.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:19am
post #8 of 39

^^^ LOLOLOL!!! We need a 'spank' emoticon.

You know you're a baker when in a moment of weakness you decide to buy 2 slices of cake from the grocery store bakery you used to swear by in your pre-baker days... and you can't eat a bite without analyzing texture, moisture, and noticing the artificial taste you never paid attention to before.

I can't even enjoy any cake these days. Every slice is an opportunity to analyze and evaluate rather than savor. Sigh.

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:45am
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615

You know you're a baker when you see potential cake designs in EVERYTHING! icon_smile.gif

THIS! lol I take pics everywhere as inspiration icon_smile.gif

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 6:29am
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615

I do that all the time!

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 6:48am
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

You know your a cake decorator when you are at a funeral and you realise that you still have the packet of flowerpaste in your cleavage that you put there to keep warm while you worked right up until it was time to leave.

I don't even know what flower paste is but that had me literally laughing out loud!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 7:31am
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlval33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I don't even know what flower paste is but that had me literally laughing out loud!!

That had me laughing, too!

I think that's what's known in the US as gum paste? It's a type of paste that you make flowers with... you can literally roll it so thin that you can see through it. It does dry quite brittle, but it's how you get realistic flowers. x

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 9:24am
post #13 of 39

Yes Flowerpaste is what you would call gumpaste , I think, it is what we make flowers out of , I was taught if you can't see through it when you roll it out it isn't thin enough.

In winter it is easier to roll out when it is a little warm , so I tend to keep it handy .
The worst thing was I was sitting next to another decorator at the funeral and she saw me find it. We both had to go outside under guise of coughing fit to stop the giggles.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 39

You know you are a baker when ... your DH gives you an APPLIANCE for mother's day and you are THRILLED! (A cherry red 7 quart kitchenaid!)

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 39

I hand washed a new garment for the first time yesterday and the water turned a fantastic magenta. My mind instantly went to cake and I had to reel myself in with a stern, "This is fabric dye, you goof, not food coloring or even beet juice!"

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 39

You know you're a decorator when... you start photographing flowers. And you're a dude.

aka, "Hey, that would look great in gumpaste!"

Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 12:11am
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGerald

You know you're a decorator when... you start photographing flowers. And you're a dude.

aka, "Hey, that would look great in gumpaste!"

Haha yup thats me.

I go even further to want to disect them at the florist/store to see how i can make it..I bet I look like a crazy man.

DeniseNH Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:17am
post #18 of 39

You know you're a cake decorator when your husband drags you to a model car show and you spot a little car on a turntable then spend the next four hours on the Internet looking for a 12" turntable to use under a cake at the next wedding show. Like someone else said, ideas are literally EVERYWHERE. I can't go into a local Hobby Lobby without my head exploding with possibilities. My next T-shirt is going to have the wording "OFFICIAL CAKE SNOB" on it. I bring the grandchildren to the grocery store with me and we all make fun of the cakes in their bakery department............I even have them doing it. Shameless.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 39

When everyone introduces you as "The Cake Lady"
Apparently I don't have a name anymore....

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 39

...when EVERYTHING in your kitchen stays coated with a thin layer of powdered sugar!

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #21 of 39

My daughter and I bake together, she goes to a high school football game and her friends say... "I smell cake...is that you Emily??" Love that!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:35pm
post #22 of 39

You know you're a baker when you see potential cake designs in EVERYTHING! icon_smile.gif[/quote]
I do that all the time![/quote]

Ditto icon_smile.gif

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:45pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

When everyone introduces you as "The Cake Lady"
Apparently I don't have a name anymore....

So funny!!! I have to remind my friends and family to stop introducing me as "the cake lady".

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:48pm
post #24 of 39

When you actually look forward to your family going to bed so you can spend the wee hours of the morning working in peace and quiet!

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 39

When you can find buttercream on yourself in the strangest places!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 6:58pm
post #26 of 39

When the thought of a grocery cake for your birthday makes you sick.

I told my boyfriend I would rather bake my own cake than have him buy me a cheap cake from the grocery store. He started laughing.

DeniseNH Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:07pm
post #27 of 39

You KNOW you're a cake decorator when you walk away from a delivery and they chase you down the driveway waving a check. If money disappeared off the face of the earth, you'd still decorate cakes. It's just "in you".

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 10:58pm
post #28 of 39

You know you are a baker when you've been wearing the same set of clothes for so long but you have nearly all the latest cake tools and gadgets icon_lol.gif
When even though you went to shop for something else your first stop is the baking aisle, then next the crafts aisle just to see what can be used as a cake tool!! icon_lol.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 11:56pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I bring the grandchildren to the grocery store with me and we all make fun of the cakes in their bakery department............I even have them doing it. Shameless.

icon_lol.gif My husband and I so do this!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:08am
post #30 of 39

......at a funeral and you realise that you still have the packet of flowerpaste in your cleavage that you put there to keep warm while you worked right up until it was time to leave.......
....... everyone introduces you as "The Cake Lady".........
......you find buttercream on yourself in the strangest places
........you went to shop for something...1st stop is the crafts aisle just to see what can be used as a cake .....

Oh my, these are my favorites icon_smile.gif I especially Love, love, love the 1st one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%