Keeping A Square Cake Talk With No Filling

Decorating By Sugarhigh84 Updated 16 Jul 2012 , 11:03pm by Sugarhigh84

Sugarhigh84 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:00am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys!

I just received an order for a square party cake and I was pretty confident with how I would do it until my customer said he wanted no filling in between the cake because his wife is picky. I don't know how to leave the cake filling-less without the layers falling into two different chunks when you cut it. I also need the cake to have the height of two layers but I don't know how to achieve that without using a dummy underneath which is also a no-no. Please let me know your advice! I greatly appreciate it!

4 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:30am
post #2 of 5

Maybe he just meant no fruit or flavored filling. He may not consider buttercream between the layers to be the same as filling. I would suggest making your own judgement call in regards to the structure of the cake. Ask him if he wants icing between the layers. That probably will be something he understands better.

reginaherrin Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:36am
post #3 of 5

I have only ever had one customer tell me they did not want filling in the cake as well, which so does not make sense to me. What I told them is it has to have something between the layers even if it is a thin layer of buttercream. That is what I would advise you to do with your customer. More then likely you will be using buttercream to ice the cake anyways so why not use a thin layer between the cakes just to stick them together so they don't slide apart. If there is ever something that my customer wants that I think won't work or is something I feel uncomfortable doing I let them know all the possibilities that could happen and why you have to do certain things in the construction of the cake and it usually convinces to go by my recommendations.

KoryAK Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 6:17am
post #4 of 5

Yep, thin layer of buttercream. In all of my experience, when people say no filling they mean nothing different than what's already going to be there. They're obviously ok with buttercream already as it's on the outside.

Sugarhigh84 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you guys! You're all right I guess I'm just really shy when it comes to small problems that I need to fix with my customers! Thanks again guys I appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%