Nasty Message From Potential Customer

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 17 Jul 2012 , 2:12pm by LNW

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 11

Came here to 'vent' because only you all would understand the situation.

Okay I just received a some what nasty message from a "potential" customer.
She accused me of trying to "embarrass" her on a "public format" & said that she guarantees she will never purchase anything from me. She also bashed some of my work, basically saying it didn't look as good as the other persons work.

This all stemmed from a photo that I shared on my page from another caker. I shared the photo because I thought the work was awesome & to show that the price I quoted was reasonable, especially considering most cakes of that nature go for 2-3x the cost I gave.

I don't understand why she would accuse me of attempting to embarrass her...especially when we talked through messages & it's not like I named her or something icon_confused.gif

She wanted to pay $30 for a cake shaped like a guitar & covered in leopard print... to serve 40 people.

10 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 11

She sounds like a real piece of work, and a cheapskate.

Having said that, I have a lot of customers who look at my web page, and then "like" my Facebook page, before they ever place an order. If you'd been discussing an order with her, and she suddenly saw on your Facebook page, posted for "the world to see", a similar cake, pointing out that your cakes were a better deal, I can see how it would be taken personally. She knew that post was meant for her, even if you didn't say her name. It would probably be a good idea to not post in that way again.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 11

Let it roll off your back and forget about her and her rude comments. As for being a potential customer I hope you don't take any cake orders from her because more than likely it will end bad. If she wants a guitar cake for 30.00 I would tell her to go to the store and pick up some cake mix and have at it. I see that you are in HI and I don't think you could even buy ingredients for that amount. There's always another customer unfortunately we can't please them all.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

& said that she guarantees she will never purchase anything from me..

Don't worry, she if lucky if she can afford a Walmart cake.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11

She's upset because you proved to her that the price she wanted to pay was ridiculous. Run from this one. You don't need the aggravation and your cakes will speak for themselves.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

She sounds like a real piece of work, and a cheapskate.

Having said that, I have a lot of customers who look at my web page, and then "like" my Facebook page, before they ever place an order. If you'd been discussing an order with her, and she suddenly saw on your Facebook page, posted for "the world to see", a similar cake, pointing out that your cakes were a better deal, I can see how it would be taken personally. She knew that post was meant for her, even if you didn't say her name. It would probably be a good idea to not post in that way again.

You have a good point. It wasn't completely intended to be aimed at her. I've had numerous messages for a $20 or $30 cake ever since I've moved to this area. It's just aggravating.

[quote= "sweettreat101" ]Let it roll off your back and forget about her and her rude comments. As for being a potential customer I hope you don't take any cake orders from her because more than likely it will end bad. If she wants a guitar cake for 30.00 I would tell her to go to the store and pick up some cake mix and have at it. I see that you are in HI and I don't think you could even buy ingredients for that amount. There's always another customer unfortunately we can't please them all.
[/quote]

Yea, I didn't think I was getting her business any way. After I sent a quote(3 weeks ago), I never heard back from her....until today when she sent me this message.

I thought it was funny when she pointed out the guitar cake I did wasn't as good as the cake I shared. It was my very first cake...and I mentioned that to her when we talked the first time.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:12am
post #7 of 11

Let all those clients who want nicely decorated cakes for $20-$30 be someone else's new customers. No loss to you.
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:51am
post #8 of 11

Oh, Sweettreat101...I meant to say I don't live in HI anymore, I've recently moved to AZ icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 8:21am
post #9 of 11

Wow from beautiful islands to heat.lol. I wouldn't want to have to deliver cakes in AZ. I'm still concerned about delivering my large order of ten cakes in September and I'm in Northern Ca.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 9:08am
post #10 of 11

Instead of being upset - roar laughing at her indignant manner
After all, she only wanted to pay .75 (or there abouts) per slice of cake...
What a hoot................ icon_rolleyes.gif
Who gets out of bed to turn thier oven on for that icon_confused.giftapedshut.gif

Bluehue

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 11

Well first of all she sounds like a nut. You probably wouldn't want her as a client anyways. Secondly, I can see her point. I have some family members who like to post those E-Card pictures that say things in a sneaky enough way that they aren't singling the person they are aiming it at out but still they are making a point. Then when they get called on it HEY?!? Was that directed at ME??? The OP can say, Nooooo I was just putting that out there for everyone. And they get away with making a snarky comment to someone without actually saying it directly. Its a lame way to deal with issues.

To keep the peace Id probably take down the OP on your FB page. She probably wont order from you anyways but still, this will keep her from running her mouth and showing all her friends what she thinks you did to embarrass her publicly. And in the future if the issue ever comes up again (sounds like you deal with this a lot so it probably will) Id PM the photo and information to that person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%