SugarandSpice3674 Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 5:07am
post #1 of

Hello everyone, I am looking for any advise or tips on how to go about wrapping modelling chocolate around a 14" cake, the same style as Baking Arts does with their striped cakes, I know they have a dvd for the method of achieving the stripes on the modelling chocolate, but all im looking for is just if there is a different method to wrap a large tier, ive seen tutorials with a small tier and laying the modeling chocolate on the counter and rolling the cake on top of it but i cant imagine doing that with a large one! i was thinking possibly of having the strip of modeling chocolate laid out on waxed paper and being able to pick it up and wrap around the cake?

5 replies
Bobeba Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 12:12am
post #2 of

I think your idea sounds good. I wouldn't roll a cake over modelling chocolate even with a small cake. I have wrapped up to a 10inch cake just fine.

BakingIrene Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:13pm
post #3 of

You need to use strips of acetate or bakers parchment. Roll the chocolate onto these strips, trim one edge. Then roll up the chocolate and support into a log. Put that against the side of the cake and unroll right up to the cake. Keep as little space as possible between the cake and the strip.

metria Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 7:49pm
post #4 of

I used a strip of freezer paper to help support the modelling chocolate when I last wrapped a 10" round ... it would have been helpful to have another set of hands though!

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 6:19am
post #5 of

Wonderful thank you so much! I will definity give it a go, I have a 6" and a 8" cake to practice on this weekend. Will post pics when I'm done icon_smile.gif

pingxiaomei575 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 6:51am
post #6 of

to help support the modelling chocolate when I last wrappedImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%