First Post. Fondant Modeling/storage

Decorating By sratsey Updated 14 Jul 2012 , 12:44am by sratsey

sratsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sratsey Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! This is my first post on CC. I decorate strictly as a hobby and I've recently begun working with fondant. I'm modeling a Lalaloopsy character as my daughter's cake topper which will be used in 3 weeks.
I finished the torso and face yesterday, but left it out.
I was under the impression that fondant needed to set/harden prior to storage. Now there are fine cracks around the eyes and sleeves of my doll icon_sad.gif
Is there any way that I can fix those without re-doing the whole thing?
Also, I completed the figure this morning. How do I store it for 3 weeks without it cracking further?

ETA pictures. This is the best picture I could get that shows all the fine cracks. Both sleeves, around the dolls right eye, through her mouth and even the curl on the left side of her head.

3 replies
Bliss Pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bliss Pastry Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:23am
post #2 of 4

First of all let me say this looks great! Especially if you are new to fondant, well even if you aren't new to it this doll came out fantastic! Did you use all fondant? Did you mix it with tylose? Is it mixed with gumpaste? Also what brand are you using. Some are harder or softer than others. If it were me I would not worry about those fine cracks because I can't even see them.... You could try rubbing a bit of shortening over them or take a teeny piece of the same color fondant and add a bit of shortening to that.... Like making a paste, and rub it over... Like concealer. Honestly though I wouldn't touch it. It's great. You did great. For the record I always use a 50/50 blend of fondant and gumpaste. I usually just grab Wilton brand. I'm in Florida, my house is hot and humid and old so that brand, being the most firm I've ever used, is eat for me. It's too dry for some people in drier cooler climates but for me it's great. My hot hands don't melt it. A little bit of cracking is, I will say, very normal. For me the 50/50 gives me more flexibility in the paste and I can work with it longer. For me it is more smooth than just fondant and less brittle than just gum paste, that is just my preference. You nailed that la la loopsy though! Great job!

Bliss Pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bliss Pastry Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:32am
post #3 of 4

Oh sorry I totally forgot to answer your second question... Storage. I use anything.... Shoe boxes, perfume boxes.... I hoard any good solid nice box with a lid for storage. I don't like airtight storage in my humidity so any other type of sturdy box works for me to keep the dust off and light out.

sratsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sratsey Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:44am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for you reply. This is my 3rd time modelling with fondant. I used all fondant for all the components of the doll. Next time I'll try a gumpaste mixture or tylose...which from surfing through here, might make it less prone to cracking. I used Wilton brand.

I actually ended up scrapping the model and doing it all over again icon_eek.gif I guess I'm more of a perfectionist than I thought. The legs were fine, but I'm much happier with the second face and torso. I do enjoy playing with the stuff...almost like grown up Play Doh and I was able to add a few more details than I had in the original.
I have it stored in tupperware (unassembled) with some tissue at the bottom.
Is that okay? I just don't want those cracks in the face again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%