Cakes Are Like Sand Castles

Lounge By letsgetcaking Updated 14 Jul 2012 , 12:36am by Bliss Pastry

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 2

Really. icon_smile.gif

Over the last few years of cake decorating, I've sometimes wondered why I feel compelled to spend so many hours creating something that will be devoured in less then 10 minutes. Sure, I can take pictures to remind myself of my cake art that I poured my heart and soul into, but the actual creation is gone. Logically, I kept thinking that it was a waste of time to want every detail perfect (though we all know a cake will never be "perfect"). Yet, I still felt the desire to make every cake as beautiful as I could, but I couldn't exactly pinpoint why I felt that need.

This morning, my friend posted an article featuring sand sculptures. I was marveling at the incredible talent of the sand artists. Some of the sculptures made me think of the classical artists from the Renaissance. I can't imagine the number of hours it takes the artists to create their sculptures, all the while knowing that their creation will eventually be washed away. Somehow that makes me like their art even more. They create to make something beautiful, even if the physical product will only exist for a moment. They find joy in the process of creation. I can relate because I feel the same way when I decorate cakes. icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Bliss Pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bliss Pastry Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:36am
post #2 of 2

It's like a celebration and imitation of life in that respect. We are beautiful works of art that are also here for just a brief moment in time before we wash away. I enjoy the diving into a beautiful cake, the deconstruction and consumption of it. It's a nice circle of life for a cake.... It comes from within us and that is where it goes back to when it's life is over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%