Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By Brittany07 Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 3:44am by norgenata

Brittany07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany07 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:34am
post #1 of 11

I have not tried modeling chocolate yet but I'm looking forward to using it. Is it a good product to use on cut outs to put on a fondant cake or should it be basically used only for sculpting? Are there any good recipes?

10 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 11

It is PERFECT for cut outs! It doesn't stretch like fondant will, but yet it is still pliable enough that you can bend it around the sides of a round cake without it cracking or tearing.

You should be able to find Mike McCareys' or baking arts modeling chocolate recipes online (I'm not near my recipes right now). It's basically just chocolate (or candy melts) and corn syrup. Baking arts adds in a smidge ot glycerine. But the ratios are really important!

Brittany07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany07 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 11

Ok awesome, thank you!!

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 11

I just made some using the tutorial from Sweetwise on youtube. She uses 1lb chocolate melts and 5.65 oz of light corn syrup. It worked awesome, love it.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 11

i just posted a tutorial for how i make modeling chocolate if you would like to see:

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/p/modeling-chocolate-recipe.html

it's a fun medium! i like it for sculpting and for accents.

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 11

Could someone tell me who works with modeling chocolate - concerning "ruffles" - can this method be used to create them? I mean instead of the fondant/gumpaste ones. Modeling chocolate would be much more tasty in my opinion. But I don't know if they would hold up!! HELP!

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:17am
post #7 of 11

I use modeling chocolate for almost all 3D or patterned cake decorations including ruffles.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolLee

Could someone tell me who works with modeling chocolate - concerning "ruffles" - can this method be used to create them? I mean instead of the fondant/gumpaste ones. Modeling chocolate would be much more tasty in my opinion. But I don't know if they would hold up!! HELP!

I use a 50/50 fondant/modelling chocolate for some ruffle cakes, but not in the summer! It does work nicely for ruffles when you combine it with the fondant. Here's my youtube video on making it. Just don't overmix it and you'll be fine.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for this thread I should try modeling chocolate

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:40am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I use a 50/50 fondant/modelling chocolate for some ruffle cakes, but not in the summer!

I'm new to modeling chocolate too and have been trying to get an answer on how it does in the heat and humidity. Does the above warning against summer use apply only to a 50/50 mix or also to straight modeling chocolate? Would it be a mistake to use modeling chocolate to make some small sculpted (free standing) tree trunks in moderate heat/humidity? TIA.

norgenata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norgenata Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11

Does anyone have experience with coloring of modeling chocolate with airbrush? or is it going to be just drops of color on it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%