Cupcake's Pulling Away From Paper

Baking By babeebk Updated 17 Jul 2012 , 3:46am by Ironbaker

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

I make all of my cupcakes from scratch. I have no problem with chocolate, red velvet or carrot cupcakes pulling away...but every single time I make classic yellow cake my cupcakes pull away from the liner. I use Elisa Strauss' yellow cake recipe. I made some cupcakes for a friends wedding over the weekend and I had to bake 8 dozen cupcakes just to get 4 dozen decent looking cupcakes.

I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. I've tried several different brands of liners but still have had the same problem. I've searched and searched online but it seems that it's a very common issue yet I can't find a solution. Does anyone know why this happens?

5 replies
DaisyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyJay Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 6

I had the same problem at one point. For me, it happened multiple times randomly, then randomly stopped. And I knew it didn't have anything to do with liner brands.

I've only come to a couple conclusions. One is that, when you take the cupcakes out the oven and let them sit in the tin for too long, it causes the liners to "sweat", then peel away. The other thing I've seen is that it may have something to do with your oven temperature. I have yet to hear about somebody having this problem, finding the culprit, and actually solving the issue.

If it still keeps happening to you, the only thing I could suggest is using foil liners that are kinda like...double "layered". Layer of paper liner with the foil liner on the outside.

joaquinfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaquinfan Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, I've had exactly the same happen to me and was tearing my hair out! I did extensive research online and fingers crossed haven't had it happen again;

The batter I was using was quite wet, so I tried to reduce the amount of milk but that resulted in disastrous sunken messes, so I decided to overcook each batch by 5-10 minutes. The recipe I use states to cook for 18-20 and I go for 25-30, judging the colour to a nice golden brown. So far this hasn't affected the texture or moistness of them.

Another tip I read was a lady saying her gran used to swear that if you could 'hear' the cupcakes when you took them out of the oven, they were under-done (they make a sound almost like rice krispies, which I have heard at 18-20 mins cooking time, but not so mch at 25-30 mins).

Another thing, as above, I don't let them sit in the baking tray for more than 3-5 mins, enough to cool slightly, but not completely.

I have also taken to using an insert from a cupcake box to sit all the cupcakes in while they cool down. I still place them on a cooling rack, but I know that each one is supported by the holder while it cools.

Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on!

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 6

what kind of liners are you using ? I tried those ones that say you can just set them on a baking sheet no cupcake pan required. They were Terrible ! Once the cupcakes cooled they all pulled away from the liners! icon_sad.gif

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't had this issue with any of my liners since I switched to Williams Sonoma's gold touch cupcake pans... I leave them in the pan sometimes on accident (where they form a slight condensation on the bottom) and still they never pull away.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:46am
post #6 of 6

This issue drives me crazy! I feel your pain.

What I've noticed is usually the culprit for me - too much moisture/humidity/fat. Sometimes I'll add a fruit puree, jam, etc to a white/yellow cake and it's too much if I did not compensate by removing some of the butter/liquid.

It's happened to some that come out perfectly fine but then I put in a covered cake dome and they are peeled by morning. (humidity)

With your yellow cake, adjust the fat/liquid a little and see if it does anything. Just watch your baking time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%