Did What I Did Dry The Cake Out Quickly?

Decorating By emma_123 Updated 14 Jul 2012 , 6:51am by emma_123

emma_123 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 5

Last week I made a cake for my mum (in my pics with yellow roses) for their wedding anniversary. Its been horrible humid weather here on and off lately and I had terrible trouble getting the cake covered. In the end it took 4 attempts to get it covered in fondant.

My mum and dad both said it was lovely but mum did confess today that it did dry out much quicker than my cakes normally do (I make madeira which normally lasts for two weeks and is lovely and moist usually!) Normally I brush my cakes with some sugar syrup after coming out of the oven and then the next day when I decorate them when I crumbcoat, pop in the fridge for 15 mins then add a thin coat of buttercream on top then fridge for an hour or less, then leave to get to room temp before covering. This cake however did not go to plan and it ended up taking 4 times to get it covered and at one point was in the fridge for a few hours. Would like extra time in the fridge been enough to dry it out? Also, mum said there wasn't as much buttercream in the middle and wondered if the cake had soaked it up - would it being in the fridge made it have done that too (although I had problems with the buttercream so wonder if that didn't help. Would the weather not help either? She said she stored it properly too (which I nag her about all the time so I know she would have done!) I was wondering if anybody could help as I'd really like to avoid this happening again!

4 replies
DeniseNH Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 5

Nope, nothing you did would cause this. The only thing I can think of is that you either forgot to drizzle the simple syrup or you overbaked the cake.

CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_123

Also, mum said there wasn't as much buttercream in the middle and wondered if the cake had soaked it up

If the cake soaked it up, it would have made the cake more moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_123

She said she stored it properly too (which I nag her about all the time so I know she would have done!)

How did she store it?

carmijok Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

You might have just had a dry cake. It happens. I made my usual french vanilla a few weeks ago and thank goodness I tasted the cake after cutting the dome off because it was not only dry but very spongy. I have no idea what happened...it looked good...it cooked in the same time. The dough tasted the same. I ended up having to make a fresh cake and was glad I did. Sometimes the cake gods just want a good laugh. icon_smile.gif

emma_123 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 6:51am
post #5 of 5

Sorry I have had a busy few days and haven't had chance to reply. Well mum said she wrapped it up in clingfilm and then stored it in an airtight cake tin. I think maybe it was just part of a bad cake week I was having, obviously the cake gods didn't like me that week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%