Rose Nail Vs. Heat Core When Making Large Cakes

Baking By TaraLynRRT Updated 17 Jul 2012 , 3:25am by BlakesCakes

TaraLynRRT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraLynRRT Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make 10 and 14 inch round cakes (I will be using 3 inch high pans). What's the best way to ensure the center is cooked properly....using a rose nail or a heat core?? I would imagine if I used a rose nail I would have to use at least 3 or 4?? Please advise, thanksicon_smile.gif

11 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 12

I used to use a heat core but find I now prefer the nails. For a cake that size I use at least 3, placing them against the pan, but under the parchment paper before pouring in the batter. It's then a simple matter to remove them when turning the cake out of the pan onto the cooling grid. This is just my personal preference. I suspect others have their methods.

Jan

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 12

I prefer nails to cores.

In the 10", I'd use one in the center and in the 14" I'd use 3 in a "triangle" in the center--but not touching.

Rae

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I prefer nails to cores.

In the 10", I'd use one in the center and in the 14" I'd use 3 in a "triangle" in the center--but not touching.

Rae

I only used a heating core once or twice but I like the nails much better. This is how do it now.

TaraLynRRT Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:01am
post #5 of 12

I actually tried both techniques today. I followed Rae's advice and placed the nails in a "triangle" and it turned out great. I think using the rose nails are much easier and makes a nicer looking cake since you don't have a cake plug.

Thanks for everyone's imputicon_smile.gif
Tami

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:24am
post #6 of 12

Glad to hear it worked well for you, Tara.

I find that by having more even heat distribution at the center of the cake, it bakes up pretty flat, too. I use one, or more, in every cake I bake--6" and larger. For a sheet cake, I use 5 in an "X".

If you want to "upgrade" from the flower nails--they can rust, oxidize, or discolor over multiples uses, I strongly suggest these heating "cores" from Ateco. They're stainless steel, completely flat, and I think they're worth every penny.

If you google them, you can find them at various places online and they carry them at Sur La Table.

http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Ateco-Heating-Cores-4pk__1449.aspx

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:25am
post #7 of 12

I find that by having more even heat distribution at the center of the cake, it bakes up pretty flat, too. I use one, or more, in every cake I bake--6" and larger. For a sheet cake, I use 5 in an "X".

If you want to "upgrade" from the flower nails--they can rust, oxidize, or discolor over multiples uses, I strongly suggest these heating "cores" from Ateco. They're stainless steel, completely flat, and I think they're worth every penny.

If you google them, you can find them at various places online and they carry them at Sur La Table.

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:28am
post #9 of 12

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:29am
post #10 of 12

Rae

TaraLynRRT Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 12

Rae,

Thank you so much for the information. I baked several cakes this past weekend using my rose nails and I see what you mean about discoloration. I've always been happy with all products I've bought from Ateco so I will try these.

Thanks again,
Tami

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:25am
post #12 of 12

Glad to help!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%