Help! Can I Save My Cake?

Decorating By MJbakes Updated 11 Jul 2012 , 3:19pm by CWR41

MJbakes Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 4

So yesterday afternoon I baked 4 9x13 cakes for a couple of small cakes I'm making this week, one for a friend and one for my bfs coworker. Anyways, I had to work last night and 2 of the 4 cakes weren't cool enough to wrap so I asked my bf to do it. (he's done it before for me so I wasn't worried). When I got home for work I went straight to bed and didnt look at the cakes, when I called him this morning he told me that we ran out of saran wrap so he wraped the cakes in plastic grocery bags. So I went and checked them and they are starting to dry out! How can I save them, I don't have time to bake another round of cakes! Please help!

3 replies
yortma Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 4

You may not have time, but wrap them well in saran wrap and freeze overnight. Freezing tends to make cakes moister. Also, or instead, if no time, brush them with simple syrup. Boil equal amounts of water and sugar for several minutes. (I do it in the microwave in a large glass measuring cup). Cool. Add vanilla, or liqueur, or other appropriate flavors if desired. If you want to add lemon juice, or orange juice to the syrup, add 1/4 cup per cup of sugar after cooling, and decrease the water used at the beginning to 3/4 cup per cup of sugar. Brush lightly over the surfaces of the cakes to add and seal in moisture. (Don't let it get soggy!) It is a great way to add additional flavor as well as moisture.

MJbakes Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for tip, I don't have time to freeze so i'm going to try out the simple syrup. It's basically around the edges that its starting to dry up so I think I should be okay. I'm off to make my fondant and buttercream now. Thank again!

CWR41 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 4

When you ice the cake, the BC will add moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%