Scratch, Wasc, Box

Baking By SweetNSassyTreats Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 4:38am by uberathlete

SweetNSassyTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNSassyTreats Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:51am
post #1 of 18

Which one of these methods gets the most WOW factor when you bake??? IMO, the only cake that needs to be made from scratch is pound. What are ur thoughts!

17 replies
bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 18

I only bake from scratch, and I always get asked "what did you do to this cake, it's so good"?

I've worked on my scratch recipes for a while, I think that between the scratch cakes and the European buttercreams, whipped ganache etc.. it sets my cakes apart, people are used to mass produced and boxed mixes, so these are standout treats. I am a serious hobby baker that doesn't mind having 5 separate recipes to create one cake, I actually enjoy the process.

I have personal reasons for avoiding mixes, I see no need for all of the additives in my foods. I do understand that others couldn't care less.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 18

My *original* WASC recipe was designed to taste exactly like a scratch recipe without all the extra fuss and ingredients needed.

bakechef Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 12:58am
post #4 of 18

A while ago before I started baking from scratch exclusively, I made the wasc cake and it was good, but to me still tasted like a mix cake. The texture was excellent though. With all of the stuff you have to add to that recipe, I don't really see how it is much easier than scratch. Proper creaming is the only extra step, and that is made pretty effortless with a stand mixer. I will admit, starting with a mix makes for a more foolproof cake and I understand why people use it.

SweetNSassyTreats Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 4:08am
post #5 of 18

I have found that so many people don't know what a real homeade cake taste like anymore. So I feel like why bother...but with my whipping cream pound cake...it just can never be replaced with a box! But I love the WASC

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:40am
post #6 of 18

Everyone's tastebuds have been dulled into enjoying box mix, so why bother making scratch cakes?

I can taste the difference! I only bake using butter that's been made from happy cows and flour milled by blind nuns and I can definietly taste the difference

People always say that my box mix cakes are the best cakes they've ever eaten, because I use love as the extra ingredient.

That's rubbish! People who can't taste the difference are philistines who have no class or sophistication.

Hold on - there's all sorts of people who don't have any money and can only afford to buy three tiered cakes for their kid's birthday if it's made of box mix.

No! we should educate everyone to enjoy scratch cakes and market them to rich people- won't someone think of the children?

But I don't like baking that much, and can't get good results using scratch cakes.

Well, you should learn about the science of baking like I did for the last 15 years.

There's a market for all kinds of cakes if you market yourself correctly.

Just don't lie about it if people ask if you bake from scratch!

Of course I wouldn't lie - why would you even suggest that?

I've been to bakeries where the cake was clearly from a mix, but I was told it was from scratch.

You scratch bakers are so snobby!

You mix bakers are so lazy!

Hey, didn't the OP just register, then start a thread about one of the most contentious topics on the forum? Troll! Troll!

I'm not a troll.

etc

etc

etc

Now everyone can go on with their day. icon_smile.gif [/b]

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:26am
post #7 of 18

Mcaulir, I just spat coffee everywhere when I read your post thank you .

Incidently I bake from scratch , I do use eggs from happy chooks , I am really not sure about the cows or the nuns though.

bakechef Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 10:48am
post #8 of 18

Now I Feel inferiour! The flour that I use is milled by sighted nuns, and I thought that was good enough! I must seek better flour. icon_biggrin.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 11:18am
post #9 of 18

You won't believe the diffference! icon_wink.gif

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 18

too funny!! icon_lol.gif

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 18

OK, I love to make scratch cakes, but I have also enjoyed using the WASC recipe from here, and then doctoring it with different flavors. My questions is this, has anyone determined the amount of different ingredients in the BC cake mix? I know it has flour, sugar, baking powder, etc, but does anyone know how much of each? I like the fact that the WASC recipe makes more in my batch, in fact I love that. But if I could make the same kinds of cakes using an all scratch recipe instead of 1/2 and 1/2, then I would be very happy.

Any thoughts or ideas.

BTW, I've been purchasing all my eggs from these lake ducks we have all over the place out here in ND, they are everywhere!!

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:21am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Everyone's tastebuds have been dulled into enjoying box mix, so why bother making scratch cakes?

I can taste the difference! I only bake using butter that's been made from happy cows and flour milled by blind nuns and I can definietly taste the difference

People always say that my box mix cakes are the best cakes they've ever eaten, because I use love as the extra ingredient.

That's rubbish! People who can't taste the difference are philistines who have no class or sophistication.

Hold on - there's all sorts of people who don't have any money and can only afford to buy three tiered cakes for their kid's birthday if it's made of box mix.

No! we should educate everyone to enjoy scratch cakes and market them to rich people- won't someone think of the children?

But I don't like baking that much, and can't get good results using scratch cakes.

Well, you should learn about the science of baking like I did for the last 15 years.

There's a market for all kinds of cakes if you market yourself correctly.

Just don't lie about it if people ask if you bake from scratch!

Of course I wouldn't lie - why would you even suggest that?

I've been to bakeries where the cake was clearly from a mix, but I was told it was from scratch.

You scratch bakers are so snobby!

You mix bakers are so lazy!

Hey, didn't the OP just register, then start a thread about one of the most contentious topics on the forum? Troll! Troll!

I'm not a troll.

etc

etc

etc

Now everyone can go on with their day. icon_smile.gif [/b]

LMAO this is why I never indulge in these scratch-vs-box threads. Thanks for the laugh icon_smile.gif

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:25am
post #13 of 18

You people are cracking me up! Good to know our little "baking family" has a great sense of humor!

SweetNSassyTreats Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 5:00am
post #14 of 18

I also wanted to add when I bake for an older crowd, they are very please with cakes from scratch....the younger crowd seem to enjoy the mix more......just my observations.

SweetNSassyTreats Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 5:00am
post #15 of 18

I also wanted to add when I bake for an older crowd, they are very please with cakes from scratch....the younger crowd seem to enjoy the mix more......just my observations.

Nani25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nani25 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 3:24am
post #16 of 18

love the monologue and both points are valid. I am a box baker for 2 reasons. 1) it's what and most around me know. I'm in AZ. We don't have quaint bakeries we buy cakes from chain grocery stores so to go through the cost & effort of scratch has no real reason. 2) I admittedly don't know how to bake from scratch. I haven't found a scratch recipe that I like. The texture is nothing I'm used to and they are always dry and always inconsistant.

So am I wrong? Do scratch recipes always back firm & dry? What am I doing wrong? Bettey Crocker isn't high end but even that I can't seem to do.

Help, where do I learn how to bake from scratch? I would like to learn and be able to provide a better product for my loved ones.

Thank you,

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:01am
post #17 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfandm 

OK, I love to make scratch cakes, but I have also enjoyed using the WASC recipe from here, and then doctoring it with different flavors. My questions is this, has anyone determined the amount of different ingredients in the BC cake mix? I know it has flour, sugar, baking powder, etc, but does anyone know how much of each? I like the fact that the WASC recipe makes more in my batch, in fact I love that. But if I could make the same kinds of cakes using an all scratch recipe instead of 1/2 and 1/2, then I would be very happy.

Any thoughts or ideas.

BTW, I've been purchasing all my eggs from these lake ducks we have all over the place out here in ND, they are everywhere!!

Wow, do the ducks take cash or credit? And can they make change? icon_biggrin.gif

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:38am
post #18 of 18

The only reason I would go box is for texture and moisture. In terms of flavor, scratch is almost always better. So far, neither has produced the ideal cake for me and I'm still searching for that holy grail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%