So Much Info And Tips On Fondant I Don't Know What To Do....

Decorating By Dani0220 Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 4:26pm by cubbycakes

Dani0220 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 3

I have made 1 fondant covered cake on a 6" cake. I made it pink w zebra strips... And not to toot my own horn but it came out pretty awesome! Well now I've committed myself to a 2 tier fondant covered baptism cake for this Saturday! Stressing isn't even the word. If anyone can answer these questions even w one sentence I will be so thankful...

1.) is it gonna be a huge problem that my 10 inch cake peeled off around half the rim? Legit half of the top side portion just fell off as soon as a flipped it out of my pan. I trimmed it down a little on that side but the sides are a bit rough now. If I crumb coat and try to get a perfect smooth ice first should I be okay? (should I just bake a whole new cake?

2.) a 6" cake is going on top... When I tier a smooth iced cake I put dowels and a cake board underneath the top tier, do fondant cakes require a cake board under the top tier?

3.) baptism is this Sunday, I'm decorating the cakes saturday... Should I wait to stack them until Sunday when I leave? I'm in fear of waking up Sunday to a messed up cake.

4.) can the fondant get hard overnight on the cake? Or will the frosting underneath automatically keep it soft?

5.) lastly. Should I make my pearl boarder with fondant? Not gum paste? So it's chewable? When should I add the luster dust? When its still soft or when the balls harden a bit?

Someone, anyone please help!!!!!! Im lost in the sea of videos and questions! Thanks!!!!

2 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani0220

I have made 1 fondant covered cake on a 6" cake. I made it pink w zebra strips... And not to toot my own horn but it came out pretty awesome! Well now I've committed myself to a 2 tier fondant covered baptism cake for this Saturday! Stressing isn't even the word. If anyone can answer these questions even w one sentence I will be so thankful...

1.) is it gonna be a huge problem that my 10 inch cake peeled off around half the rim? Legit half of the top side portion just fell off as soon as a flipped it out of my pan. I trimmed it down a little on that side but the sides are a bit rough now. If I crumb coat and try to get a perfect smooth ice first should I be okay? (should I just bake a whole new cake? I don't totally understand what you mean. If your cake fell apart when you tried to remove it from the pan then it will make it very hard to work with (unless you have a bit more experience) when you are trying to ice it. Also think about structure - the more your cake has cracks and breaks in it the less stable it is. If it has a split and you use it anyway you run the risk of it to continue to split once your cake is totally done.

So my advice is to re-bake and make sure you use a decent pan spray so your cake pops out easily and has a nice crust. Also make sure you line the bottom of your pan with parchment.

2.) a 6" cake is going on top... When I tier a smooth iced cake I put dowels and a cake board underneath the top tier, do fondant cakes require a cake board under the top tier? Yes.

3.) baptism is this Sunday, I'm decorating the cakes saturday... Should I wait to stack them until Sunday when I leave? I'm in fear of waking up Sunday to a messed up cake. Messed up how? I bake, tort, fill, ice, refrigerate, fondant, peg, stack, decorate, refrigerate, deliver. This generally happens over the span of 2-3 days. Experience has also taught me to never leave that much work for the day of delivery. Trust me, you should only be putting on final decorations the day the cake is due.

4.) can the fondant get hard overnight on the cake? Or will the frosting underneath automatically keep it soft? Depends on the brand of fondant you are using. Most fondant is designed to dry out and form a protective layer. they get dry after an hour or so.

5.) lastly. Should I make my pearl boarder with fondant? Not gum paste? So it's chewable? When should I add the luster dust? When its still soft or when the balls harden a bit? If you have a pearl mold, making them with fondant is hard unless you add tylose to essentially make a gumpaste. I use gumpaste or a 50/50 mix of fondant/gumpaste. I pearl dust as soon as they pop out of the mold because the dust sticks better. And no, most people do not eat them.

Someone, anyone please help!!!!!! Im lost in the sea of videos and questions! Thanks!!!!

Good luck!

cubbycakes Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 3

Im no expert, but heres my opion on what I would do....
1. I would just rebake the cake...any imperfections are just going to show up under the fondant.
2. Your 6" should be on a cake board...1. it will be easier to decorate on its on board 2. it will be impossible to move it without ruiining it if its not on a board and 3. you will need to dowel the bottom tier to hold the top tier (which you cant do without a board under the top cake)
3. Stack them when ur ready... if you get the support right there should be no reason your cake collapses or anything dramatic like that.
4. My fondant is never hard the following day (i use homemade marshmallow fondant)
5. I never use gumpaste so fondant will be fine. You can put some luster dust in a ziplock back and toss your pearls in it - that way you dont have to mess with brushing each one. Either way you can do it when its soft or hardened a little
Hope that helps some? Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%