Cake Slides Off The Board While Transporting

Decorating By Victoria77 Updated 11 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm by poohsmomma

Victoria77 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 5:33am
post #1 of 9

Hi,

Can someone please let me know the best method to prevent the cake from sliding off the cake board during transportation. I have had couple of cake disasters this way. I put a layer of buttercream on top of the board before placing the cake, but still the cake slides off the board. Please help! icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
CWR41 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 5:55am
post #2 of 9

We need more info.

What type of boards are you using... plywood, drums, single-layer cake boards?
What are the boards covered with... slippery freezer paper, plastic wrap, fondant, foil?
Are you really using an entire layer of BC on the board or just a smear?
Is the cake on its own board before transferring both to the final presentation board?
Are the disasters typically fondant or BC cakes?

Addictive_desserts Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 6:16am
post #3 of 9

Try using double sided tape if the board is sliding of the transportation board!
If you are talking about the actual cake sliding of it individual board then try royal icing or ganache!

Tjensen Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 11:31am
post #4 of 9

I use foam core on every layer of a tiered cake as well as single layers, I attach each cake to the board using royal icing. I use MDF or plywood for all bases and attach the bottom tier to that board with royal icing. I have never had a cake slide off (and I must admit now I'm afraid they can and I just never knew it LOL).

Victoria77 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 9:56am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

We need more info.

What type of boards are you using... plywood, drums, single-layer cake boards?
What are the boards covered with... slippery freezer paper, plastic wrap, fondant, foil?
Are you really using an entire layer of BC on the board or just a smear?
Is the cake on its own board before transferring both to the final presentation board?
Are the disasters typically fondant or BC cakes?




Hi CWR41,

Its a single layered cake board something like this - the silver one

I just spread the BC on the board according to the size (width) of the cake. After placing the cake on top and doing the decorations, I put them into the cake box with double side tape beneath the board so that the board does not move from the cake box. But the cake simply slides off the board when the vehicle is moving icon_sad.gif[/img][/center]

I mostly do fondant cakes only icon_smile.gif))
LL

Victoria77 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:01am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictive_desserts

Try using double sided tape if the board is sliding of the transportation board!
If you are talking about the actual cake sliding of it individual board then try royal icing or ganache!




Thank you, may be i should try out RI or ganache next time.

Victoria77 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:11am
post #7 of 9

Thanks Tjensen. I hardly make tierd cakes. But shall try your methods too thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria77

Hi CWR41,

Its a single layered cake board something like this - the silver one

I just spread the BC on the board according to the size (width) of the cake. After placing the cake on top and doing the decorations, I put them into the cake box with double side tape beneath the board so that the board does not move from the cake box. But the cake simply slides off the board when the vehicle is moving




If you were using a drum/foamcore base, I'd suggest skewering the cake to the board.
If the cake was on its own corrugated board or foamcore, it could be skewered to the board.
Try using less icing on the board. A smear in the middle is enough... excess can cause slippage.
Adding a BC border may help adhere the cake in place.

poohsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

I hope this isn't a silly question, but are you sitting the cake on a level place in your car? Sometimes when my family comes to my house to pick up a cake, they want to set the box in the car seat. Car seats are not level! I usually have to wait while they clean out some other place-floor, trunk, cargo area -to set the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%