Cost Of A Cake

Business By allcupcakedout Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 11:33pm by Cherylc418

allcupcakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allcupcakedout Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 10

Just out of curiosity because I know I don't charge enough - I made this cake for my boyfriend and someone's asking me for the price. It's a 8" cake covered in fondant with the edible topper. What would you charge someone?
LL

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 10

Pricing varies greatly due to location etc. Many suggest pricing by the 'slice'. An 8"x4" cake will serve 25 - if I remember correctly - so as an example if you decide on 3.50 per slice it would sell for between $85 & 90.
You also can call some local bakeries - both 'private' and grocery to get an idea of what is being charged in your area.

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 10

According to my charts, an 8" round serves 20 people. I'd probably charge around $50 ($2.50 per serving). But I've been told that I don't charge enough... Just offering my input! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 10

Our 8" cake costs $44 + $30 for fondant + another $30 for that custom design so we would charge $104. This is in California so it includes the cost of a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, and it's also assuming that the Redskins grant permission to use their copyrighted logo.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:01am
post #5 of 10

$168 would be my quote.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:15am
post #6 of 10

My 8 inch cakes start at $120

sweetsensations2079 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsensations2079 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 10

i do have the same issues with pricing my cakes, i have spent so much time and effort on my cakes and there all custom cakes but when i give them the cost for my cake, they all get shocked coz its expensive. can somebody tell me how to explain if i met another complain with my pricing. although i have rsearch the cakes in our area, and my price is pretty cheap, i know i dont have that much over head coz im doing it in my house..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10

........ my price is pretty cheap, i know i dont have that much over head coz im doing it in my house.. ..

You really DO have overhead. You have cost of heating (oven & home); water used; electric; insurance; ingredients; *ALL* supplies involved in making said cake; time & money spent on learning the craft. These all figure into pricing.

I too am shocked at the prices posted in this thread. NO way could I ever afford to buy a cake.
I retired some 5-7 yrs ago. Back then I'd get $30-40 for
that cake. UNREAL how pricing has escalated!!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 10

An 8" cake is about 14 PARTY sized servings. Most people dont cut birthday cake like they do wedding cake, and most bakers don't charge for birthday cake like wedding cake. Even on Earlene's chart, an 8" cake is only 15 wedding servings. I would price that cake at approximately $45 to $50 in the midwest which is about $3 - $4 a serving. Course in LA or NY, I'm sure it's a different story. If you have bakeries near you that offer similar cakes, go in with that picture and ask them for a quote. That's how you know what to charge in your area.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 10

First things first, you need to figure out your cake cost for all materials from eggs to vanilla to the box you put it in. Second you need to decide how much your time is worth per hour and determine how long it took you to create this cake. When I first started I charged 3x cost and i felt like I was charging to much! My mistake was I never charged for my time and I certainly was not charging enough. After doing some research comparing the cost per person and the quality of work of home bakeries and storefront bakeries, i came to a good price per serving for my area (and my tallents). Do your own research and make sure you do not undersell yourself! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%