How Do I Stack A Cake With Fruit As Spacers?

Decorating By amcconkie Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 12:38am by BakingIrene

amcconkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcconkie Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 7

My sister-in-law wants me to make this cake for her wedding. I am having trouble figuring out how to stack it with the fruit so it doesn't roll off, or smash the fondant etc. HELP!

Here is the URL for a picture of the cake.http://archive.blisstree.com/files/2009/05/citrusfruitweddingcake.jpg

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 7

Those citrus fruits are hiding the real separators--slabs of styrofoam. Each slab is smaller than the cake above it. Buy the fruit first so you know how deep to cut each slab.

Cover the sides with fondant same as the cake. Dowel each cake the same as you normally would. Stick the slabs down with royal icing.

amcconkie Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much! I might just sleep tonight. icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 7

This exact design is in a book. Still trying to find it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 7

Isn't that a Martha cake? It looks like one from one of her magazines recently. If so there would be little in directions available.

amcconkie Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 7

I"m not sure where it is from. She just sent me the pic and said that is what she wanted. As far as detail it looks really simple, It was the stacking that has me nervous.

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 12:38am
post #7 of 7

This being a square cake is very easy.

You measure carefully and make toothpick marks to line everything up. Dowel inside the marked lines so that the foam will sit over the dowels. Glue the foam to the undersides of the right tiers so that you have a recessed place to carry with. Drive the cake to the site on cookie sheet pans.

You need to assemble on site--line up the marked lines and use royal icing as glue. You can ask somebody to help you do this. Add the fruit at the last minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%