My First Tasting Request

Business By Thea519 Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 6:02pm by pmarks0

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 2

I'm a homebaker and have never done a wedding cake tasting before, so I need lots of tips and advice!

Should I charge extra?
Should I put a limit on how many guests she can bring with her?
She mentioned three flavors she liked when I booked the gig. Should I just bake those three, or more?
What's the easiest (and most cost effective) way to bake and present the cakes? There has got to be a better way than to bake and frost an entire 6 inch round in each flavor, right?

TIA!

1 reply
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 2

I don't do tastings myself but there's been a lot of discussion on here about them.

1. Charging is up to you. Some charge $25 and then if they book with the baker, they apply that to their order.

2. Definitely limit the tasting to a maximum number of people. I don't think they need to bring their entire family. The bride and groom should be sufficient, or potentially the MOB and./or MOG . I'd say maximum 4 people and if you don't want children at the tasting, state that as well.

3. Decide how many flavours you want to offer for a tasting. Some people seem to do 3 or 4 with several different fillings/frostings. If she specificially mentioned them, then perhaps go that route.

4. Some people provide un-iced cupcakes with the fillings and icings separate and let the tasters mix and match to decide what they like. It is your choice. The advantage to providing cupcakes is that you don't have to bake the entire batch. You can freeze left over batter, or you can bake the entire batch and freeze left over cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%