hobbymommy Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 4:59pm
post #1 of

I do not have a business but I do have a question about my mixer maintenance. I have the KitchenAid Professional HD stand mixer. I have had it since the fall of 2009 & bake only 15 to 25 cakes a year. Have read (somewhere) that it is good to have them serviced every couple of years? Is this necessary? It is not broken.

Thanks,
Crystal

12 replies
kelleym Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:17pm
post #2 of

I've had mine since 2000 and haven't ever serviced it.

sacakesandbakes Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:42pm
post #3 of

I've had mine since 1998. Using it more the past three years. I too have never had it serviced.

auntginn Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:53pm
post #4 of

How long do you let your car go without a tune-up, Same principle. The KA mixers need to be serviced to be oiled/greased to keep them in good working condition.

Is it an inconveniece? Probably but take it from me, when it breaks down its a hassle. The down time is longer depending if the parts are instock or not.

Please service them for your own sanity. icon_smile.gif)

HTH

akaivyleaf Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:14pm
post #5 of

So do you send it in someplace? Or do you take it someplace locally?

auntginn Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:02pm
post #6 of

I have a location that services all types of small appliances including KA. Its about 1/2 hr drive, not to close or too far. I make it stops to make it worth while. i have to drop it off and it takes a couple of days for them to service it. So I have 2 trips actually.

milkmaid42 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:34pm
post #7 of

I had a KA for 33 years and only had to have the brushes changed once. I finally had to replace it 2 years ago and was told by the dealer that that particular model was much better made than those available today. My new, (2yr old one) is going in for a servicing and lube as soon as I can arrange a trip into St. Louis--- not a short trip.

akaivyleaf Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 7:41pm
post #8 of

I guess I should research a place to service my mixer. I guess I'll start by calling the 1800 number and seeing where they recommend in my area.

auntginn Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:03pm
post #9 of

Milkmaid42, the last time I serviced mine the man told me my KA would still be good another 30 years or so. Let see.

milkmaid42 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:12pm

Auntginn... if that is the case, I hope someone who may have picked up my old one, (left on the curb in town on a clean-up day), has a good run with it. I ended up upgrading in size, but losing out in quality. The authorized repair shop didn't give me a whole lot of viable options, and I didn't even purchase the replacement from him. Oh well. It will be an opportunity to go into the city. (Country mouse here! icon_biggrin.gif )

Jan

auntginn Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:21pm

I'm sorry to hear that. The older models (as with most things) are generally far more superior in quality and workmanship.

I too want to upgrade to a larger size. It calls me everytime I walk into that store. Not a need, just a want so I restrain myself, lol

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:52pm

I "service" mine by killing them and having them fixed. They come home all nice and clean and in good working order. I do wedding cakes every week, thoguh, so I work them hard.

If there's a Hobart repair shop in your area they can repair them.

Pearl645 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:00pm

Didn't even know they needed servicing. I've had my mixer (Hamilton Beach) for 3 yrs now. No complaints and it is put to work every week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%