Caramel Ganache? Buttercream?

Baking By Apple646 Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 2:47pm by vgcea

Apple646 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apple646 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:03am
post #1 of 12

I'm doing my first big cake this weekend. 2 tier cake for my SIL engagement cake.
She wants it covered with caramel buttercream and MMF.
Is it possible to make a caramel ganache? I thought it would be much easier to work with and have a nicer taste.
If anyone has a recipe they can share I'd be so grateful!
Or a caramel buttercream that will be perfect under fondant?? I'm running out of time and starting to panic!

11 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:43am
post #2 of 12

Use google for caramel buttercream recipes.

Or else you can use commercial caramel candies if you are not happy with making caramel in a frying pan from sugar and butter. Melt a half pound of caramels for every pound of butter and cream them in first before adding powdered sugar. Go easy on the liquid apart from a good dose of vanilla.

Or else use dulce de leche from a jar if you can buy it locally. Add to taste instead of adding any liquid to your buttercream.

Caramel ganache would use white chocolate and that's another can of worms if you have never done it. Not exactly a last minute learning project.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:23am
post #3 of 12

I use Watkin's caramel extract in my buttercream and it comes out very yummy. I get rave reviews on it every time.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:30am
post #4 of 12

Ditto to the Watkins Caramel extract. It tastes great, and is probably your easiest way to go.

Here's a recipe that I've used with Salty Caramel cupcakes. This is ok to use under fondant because it does not crust.

Non-crusting Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe makes enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes): This recipe requires that the cake be REFRIGERATED because of the cream cheese.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
8 ounces of cream cheese, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 cup of caramel ice cream topping
6 cups of sifted powdered sugar
About 1 heaping TBSP of large grain salt.
-----------------------
You can also purchase some thick, wonderful, milk caramel at many grocery stores. Be SURE the can says DULCE DE LECHE or you will by buying a can of sweetened, condensed milk.

Here's a photo:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EPPBMW/?tag=cakecentral-20

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:45am
post #5 of 12

I slightly heat Nestle Dulce De Leche and run it in ribbons through my vanilla IMBC, being very careful not to mess up the ribbons and slight incorporation. It is beautiful and delicious. If the client wants to pay more, I will make the DDL from scratch.

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 11:12am
post #6 of 12

I make dolce de leche in the slow cooker. I fill 8 oz. jelly jars with sweetened condensed milk, place the lid on, place in slow cooker and fill with water until the jars are covered. Approx 9 hours later, perfect dolce de leche!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 12

[quote="Apti"]

Here's a recipe that I've used with Salty Caramel cupcakes. This is ok to use under fondant because it does not crust.

Non-crusting Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe makes enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes): This recipe requires that the cake be REFRIGERATED because of the cream cheese.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
8 ounces of cream cheese, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 cup of caramel ice cream topping
6 cups of sifted powdered sugar
About 1 heaping TBSP of large grain salt.

-----------------------

Big OOOPS! I forgot to say that the heaping TBSP of large grain salt does NOT go IN the recipe. When making salty caramel cupcakes, that is sprinkled on top of all the cupcakes. Sorry for the confusion.......

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 11:57am
post #8 of 12

I found this recipe on CakesDecor:

http://cakesdecor.com/cakesbyraewyn/blog/184

Apple646 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apple646 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 1:13am
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone! I'm trialling out a couple of the recipes you've given me tonight. Find the best one. I'll have to see if I can track down some DDL.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 12

Quick questions: Is home made Dulce de leche shelf stable or do I need to refrigerate the cake if I use it as a filling? And how long can I store the left over dulce de leche in the fridge/freezer?

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpJane Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 12

You don't need to refrigerate dulce de leche, unless you're keeping it forever. It's a caramel.

http://www.joepastry.com/2010/making_dulce_de_leche/

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpJane

You don't need to refrigerate dulce de leche, unless you're keeping it forever. It's a caramel.

http://www.joepastry.com/2010/making_dulce_de_leche/

Awesome! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%