Soft Shortening???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 10:16am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Cakers!

I asked this question a few post ago, but only received one response specifically to it. It sort of got lost in the post I think.

I was hoping to get more input on this.

I am trying my best to find a local distributor that sells Sweetex shortening that I can pick up myself. I have found several, but they only sell to businesses. My problem is not finding a online source of Sweetex, it is finding someone willing to ship it with dry ice. No one wants to do it. I have a few questions:

·  Those of you who have shortening shipped in the summer months. How soft is the shortening when you receive it?
·  Does the finished result of butter cream different compared to using shortening that has not been soft when used.
·  If shortening was soft at first, then allowed to come back to regular consistency, does this also make a difference in your end results of butter cream?

Success stories, tips are appreciated.

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:29am
post #2 of 4

Here's the technical issue. Sweetex has some water in it, and you know how hard it is to make water and oil mix, right? So when you let the mixture completely melt, you cannot get that water back into that state of tiny droplets.

Have you tried to get a state tax # which is what you really need to buy locally?

Shipping with dry ice is a regulatory issue: the airlines need the proper labels and they charge the highest price possible for packages.

If you need to get some, find a local health/bulk food store and ask them to please order a box for you. They will mark it up but not as much as your dry ice shipment, for sure.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:59am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Here's the technical issue. Sweetex has some water in it, and you know how hard it is to make water and oil mix, right? So when you let the mixture completely melt, you cannot get that water back into that state of tiny droplets.

Have you tried to get a state tax # which is what you really need to buy locally?

Shipping with dry ice is a regulatory issue: the airlines need the proper labels and they charge the highest price possible for packages.

If you need to get some, find a local health/bulk food store and ask them to please order a box for you. They will mark it up but not as much as your dry ice shipment, for sure.

Thank you for the suggestions. Let me look into these...

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:16am
post #4 of 4

Tax number not that easy to get at all here in Georgia.

The hunt continues...

Thank you for the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%