Tastings

Business By chefsdc24 Updated 8 Jul 2012 , 9:14am by Chellescakes

chefsdc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefsdc24 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 6

Do you require customers to pay for a tasting? I had a customer make an appointment for me to come to them with two different cakes (6 inch) . I called before I left and they decided to tell me that they had already chosen someone else. But I was left with the product. My family didn't mind......but that cost me. What would you suggest?

5 replies
cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:08am
post #2 of 6

This was extremely rude and inappropriate by the customer! Your customers should come to you. A cake tasting should be a slice of cake ..... not the whole cake. (unless they want to pay for it) I offer up to 4 different cake flavors and fillings for them to sample. I do not charge for a cake tasting. I confirm my appointments the day before the tasting. Have I ever been "stood up"? Yes, but that is all part of being in business for yourself and dealing with the public.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:29am
post #3 of 6

I ask for a $25.00 fee at the time of the tasting. Setting up the cake for tasting takes about 30 minutes to an hour and I usually spend 45 minutes to an hour with the customer. That's a lot of time required to set it up as a 'free' tasting. Should the couple decide to use me as their baker, the $25.00 goes towards the overall price of the final wedding cake.

I do not use whole cakes either. I set up small bite size samples of 3 or four different flavors of cake and maybe 3 different icings/fillings.

I make the customer come to me.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 5:41am
post #4 of 6

Oh dear. Do other people charge for tastings in your area and do ppl drive to meet the client? Believe it or not, I've never met a home-based baker who does tastings in my area. They turn up their nose at it because of the time and cost factor involved in making the samples and they know that they may not get the business esp if the customer is extremely price conscious or never had intentions of giving you their business. Some ppl just want to eat free cake. Most home-based bakers I know let their brand sell for them or someone had their cake and referred the person. I actually don't charge for samples. I tell 1st time customers that I will put aside cupcakes in up to 3 flavours that they would like to try for their wedding cake when I have large events. I always have some left-over cupcakes that are beyond the quota needed for an event. They are always happy to come to me to collect their cupcakes box. Get the business after and repeat sales. I have also tested freezing un-iced cupcakes for a month in an airtight box and the quality is the same when I defrost them. Perhaps you could test this out and see if it will work for any left over cupcakes that you have. If not, consider charging. There is a cost involved as well as time and this is a business.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 5:58am
post #5 of 6

I am a home baker and after a few of these situations I decided it was in my best interest to charge a small fee to cover cost and my own time. Like others, the fee goes towards the cake if they book with me, and they come to my home for the tasting as well. I truly believe its a matter of personal preference if you decide to charge, but for me it weeds out those you aren't truly serious about purchasing yet. Perhaps when I have a shop I will quit this practice since I will have more product on hand, but for now it coves my losses just in case.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 9:14am
post #6 of 6

Oh dear , I do tastings, but at home and it is a small taste of cake. I don't charge and I do need a weeks notice of tasting date . I only do tastings for people that are not familiar with how my cake tastes .
I keep left over mix in ziplock bags in the freezer and bake them in cup cakes , I find one or two in each flavour is fine.
If I had been asked for two six inch cakes , that is an order and would have been $85 each plus delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%