How To Cover Dummy Cake

Decorating By Noe2 Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 1:31am by Noe2

Noe2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noe2 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! My BFF is getting married in Nov 2012. Because I am part of the wedding party, we decided to do a dummy cake. I have never covered a dummy cake before. I have seen a few tutorials using pipping gel, water or shortening. What would be the simplest way to do one and how far in advance can I make it? Also how can I store it until the wedding without getting dusty? Thanks in advance for your help icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 5

You've got the right idea icon_smile.gif piping gel would be easiest, I thInk. You can make it as early as you like but keep it in a safe spot to avoid breakage of any details. Cover it in plastic wrap and store in a cool, dark dry place. Cool, to prevent melting.. Dark to avoid colors fading... Dry again prevent melting or deco becoming soft and/or misshapen - hope that helps!

Noe2 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much Moniquea. That sure helps. ; )

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 2:52am
post #4 of 5

I massage shortening onto my dummies--no mess, easy clean up, and allows you to easily move the fondant around. If you have to re-knead the fondant, it's ready to go.

You can peel the fondant off after using the display and the dummy stays in great shape. I run smaller ones thru the dishwasher to get them like new.

Store covered dummies in a cardboard box allowing some air circulation in a cool area out of direct heat & light.

Rae

Noe2 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

Those are very helpful tips Rae. Thank you so much for them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%